• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mars Bringer Of War - Holst

Share/Bookmark

Mars Bringer Of War - Holst

Here is another arrangement by Nigel Horne (http://www.bandsman.co.uk/sounds/mars.mp3) for brass band on the first movement, "Mars Bringer of War" of Holst's suite "The Planets".

http://www.bandsman.co.uk/sounds/mars.mp3

This arrangement is on a very large scale and represented many challanges both for Mr. Horne the arranger and for myself in adding the GPO & JABB libraries to the Finale score to complete this realization.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Mars Bringer Of War - Holst

Another very effective arrangement by Mr. Horne, Gary.

Fine job on the rendering!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Gary,

Mars is coming around now and then mainly because it is sort of a model for composers aspiring to film music. So it is refreshing to hear a different version, and it also helps to realize that there is much more about this piece than this sort of bolero-rhythm.

I think your rendering can very well serve as a model for checking the arrangement and also as an overall orientation for possible live players. I would really like to hear a real recording of it.

However I think here the use of just Finale comes to a limit in regards to expressivity and realism where one could only get beyond with even more midi tweaking and/or eq-ing or use of much more "expression dynamics", e. g. swells and decrescendo within one note etc.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Gary,

.....snip.....

However I think here the use of just Finale comes to a limit in regards to expressivity and realism where one could only get beyond with even more midi tweaking and/or eq-ing or use of much more "expression dynamics", e. g. swells and decrescendo within one note etc.

Hannes
    Hannes I am glad that you enjoyed Mars. The use of Finale is how the music is scored and produced for a live performance. And indeed it is pushed to the limit in a large scale work such as this. And in that it is probably about as good as it is going to get from any notation realization. The real test of such an arrangement is a live performance. Even though a midi rendering will allow more engineering of the output, it will never quite fully emulate the live performance in all of its nuances.

Gary

www.garybricaut.com

[QUOTE=Hannes_F]Gary,

Mars is coming around now /QUOTE]

It is indeed - and I, as a Scorpion, should know as it's my b'day in a few weeks (for which my wife has instructions to wake me up to that excellent arrangement of Happy Birthday that you posted a while back Gary!)

Anyway, back to Holst. Enjoyed this a lot. The brass band version is very chromatic and for me, provides a clearer view of the structure of the work.

Thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Even though a midi rendering will allow more engineering of the output, it will never quite fully emulate the live performance in all of its nuances.
    That goes without saying. Although, I have already heard darn good midi mockups. (Excellent: Thomas_J in this forum).

From my own tests I have found that there are two main giveaways - long notes with not enough change in tone and endings of phrases. This is why I often add hairpins at the end of phrases and into long notes. Often I will notate a half as four tied eights just to be able to add additional dynamics where I want.

A problem is indeed that if the piece is very long and has big dynamical changes then the "small dynamics" within notes and shorter phrases will be more difficult to establish without distorting the overall balance.

I relistened your rendering and there are indeed a lot of very fine details in it. One thought: maybe play a little with detuning (using the var1 and var2 knobs in the x-folder patches)?

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch

weeks (for which my wife has instructions to wake me up to that excellent arrangement of Happy Birthday that you posted a while back Gary!)

Anyway, back to Holst. Enjoyed this a lot. The brass band version is very chromatic and for me, provides a clearer view of the structure of the work.

Thanks for sharing this.
    I am pleased that you will enjoy the fanfare on Happy Birthday in a short time

I am glad that you enjoyed the Mars arrangement by Mr. Horne. I agree totally that the brass band setting of the Holst brings out chromatics that are not clearly heard in the orchestral version. Upon my first hearing of this arrangement I was almost afraid of an error in the score. But then the resolution proved it to be correct. I found that to be true with another composition of mine that Mr. Horne put to brass band and it surprised me to hear the chordal structures so clearly in that setting.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    I relistened your rendering and there are indeed a lot of very fine details in it. One thought: maybe play a little with detuning (using the var1 and var2 knobs in the x-folder patches)?

Hannes
    The main idea and goal is to take a score, already in notation form, and produce a high quality brass band-like reproduction from it. Most of the effort was balancing the voices, adding hairpins to replace textual dynamic indications, changing a few accept marks where needed and mapping the voices to the GPO and JABB libraries.

I have no idea what the var1 and var2 knobs or x-folder patches are. I am not playing through the Kontakt Player. The playback is from the Finale 2006 score directly to wav file with no processing in between.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum