• Register
  • Help

Topic: Testing my understanding - moving GS to its own machine

Share/Bookmark

Testing my understanding - moving GS to its own machine

A while back I was running gigastudio and Sonar on the same box (Windows XP based machine with a Delta 1010 audio interface). I'm now going to switch to running GS on its own machine (the 1010 died, new interface doesn't work with Giga quite so well, Giga is a pain in general anyway and wanted to isolate it on its on box, more performance potential, etc, etc.).

I haven't seen much on the topic in the docs, but it would appear that I just fit my second machine (the one that will run GS) with a decent but modest sound card. I'd then run MIDI into this (from MIDI out on my Sonar machine) and grab the audio out (either digitally or analog-ly, depending on the card that I get) of the GS machine and pump it into the audio interface of my Sonar machine. In effect, I'd be treating the GS machine as a heavy duty synth module.

Does this sound right or am I missing something? Seems a shame to convert into and out of MIDI and into and out of audio when transferring data between boxes. Is there a smarter way to get the two boxes to communicate?

Vince

Re: Testing my understanding - moving GS to its own machine

yup you got it!
    smart move you will fall in love with giga again by doing so.

Scott
    ADK

There are a few ways to go.

1) As listed: use a MIDI cable with an analog audio return

2) With digital audio - use Lightpipe, SPDIF or some other digital connection. If you use something that supports 24-bits, you now have top quality

3) Replace that MIDI cable with MIDIoverLAN and an Ethernet cable

4) Replace the MIDI cable and the audio cable with GigaTeleport and your Ethernet cable

5) Go with either 1 or 3, but don't capture into Sonar. Capture Giga to wave files, move them over the network to the Sonar machine and make new tracks with the files. A bit of work, but there's no quality loss due to the analog connection. The analog output from the Giga PC is just for monitoring.

I hope this helps more than it confuses...

Do have a look at Giga-Teleport from www.fx-max.com It is a far more ergonomic solution than all the others. I used to run 3 machines using FXT and GVA (2 similar products that give the same result as GT) and they were rock solid and I never had any problems.

D

Hey Jon,
    man i finally went to your website what a hoot

very cool!

Scott
    ADK

Quote Originally Posted by Jcschild
    man i finally went to your website what a hoot
    Glad you enjoyed it. I'm now working on a full re-design, and we have a bunch of content piling up that we'll be releasing regularly - at least one new video per week.

Between the time I finish the site development and we get all the content up, I have nearly an hour of music to compose. I can't wait to remove the programmer's pocket protector and pick up the quill pen!

Go Back to forum