• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help! Looking for a desk.

Share/Bookmark

Help! Looking for a desk.

Hello All,

I'm in need of a good desk for my midi-keyboard & monitors.

There are so many great professional desks I've seen through catalogs and the internet, but all of them are WAY out of my price range ($400-$600).

I'm looking for a desk ($100-$250) that I could get from a local chain store (Wal-mart, office depot, etc) that has a keyboard/mouse tray, a surface that will fit my m-audio 88 key keyboard, and a bridge shelf (the raised part in the back) for my speakers and monitor.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Most of the desks I have found don't have the bridge shelf and I'd really like to raise the monitors and speakers higher than the keyboard.

I guess I could always use a couple books to raise it up (or go college tech and use pizza hut boxes)
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Re: Help! Looking for a desk.

This is one I was looking at at Staples (Office Depot).

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

I say "build your own!" My wife and I are building a home studio so I can give up my office, and we've spent about the past two weeks every night just designing the desk. She's using Google SketchUp (which is free, by the way) to do the design so that we can move all the elements around, walk through the room, check the sightlines, etc.

I have very precise requirements because I have 5.1 monitors and two computers and four computer monitors. I want the 88-keys at exactly 24 inches from the floor, the computer keyboards directly above them, the computer monitors low so that the speakers aren't blocked behind them. There's nothing on the market that does this exactly, and I've done lots of looking.

Of course you need someone as clever as my wife who knows how to build things. My current solution does involve lots of things propped up on books and the like.

This probably isn't the answer you were looking for.

Custom built furniture would be nice. I know how to hammer my fingers... and occasionaly a nail or two. But that's about it. Thanks for the idea of Google Sketch. Never heard of it but i'll give it a try.

Staples! I didn't think about the Easy button ... I'll check through their catalog. I couldn't see the link you sent me because I don't know a Canadian ZIP code and their website wouldn't let me continue without one.

Oh and I have 2 monitors. (19 inch each)
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Hi,

Jared Hudson's father has built some nice things for reasonable cost. You might contact Jared and maybe at least get some blue prints.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=12964

Quote Originally Posted by JMDNYC
    I say "build your own!" My wife and I are building a home studio so I can give up my office, and we've spent about the past two weeks every night just designing the desk. She's using Google SketchUp (which is free, by the way) to do the design so that we can move all the elements around, walk through the room, check the sightlines, etc.
    That's exactly what i did, for my monitors/speakers/coffe warmer i picked up a used hospital table(to eat while you're in bed), changed the cover, and now i can move it around(cause it has wheels), i lower it at the exact hight caus there's a mechanism for that, i could even work standing up if i wanted to...

My chair is a used kind of a dentist chair with the elbow/feet/head rest.

And for my keybord(61 keys) i picked up a used kind of like an hospital table but that you can tilt just at the right angle, added an arm's rest so that when I'm not playing i'm resting but leave my hand on the keybord alway ready to go. It's on wheel too so i can move it...i can also lower it as i want to.

And on my left, i have the rest of my stuff on a table that I've builded. Stuff like my a monitor, mixer, mouses, midi interface, phone, knleenex, and my favorite talking dildo.

The cool thing is that everything is on wheel but my chair(which can rotate) so i can pull/push everything as needed. It feel like I'm at the helm of the starship enterprise or something .

I tell you it's not pretty but it's sooo confortable . It's more of a demo anyway, and once I'm confident that everything is 100% in it's place, I'll build a new one with the same specs... I'm really commited to have the most ergonomic work place possible, and i don't care if it takes me a couple of years to get there.

Sorry for the long post and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    Hi,

Jared Hudson's father has built some nice things for reasonable cost. You might contact Jared and maybe at least get some blue prints.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=12964
    I tried the link that he has provided but it direct me to Le Monde(fr) a french journal!!!

Staples has one for about $150. It's two tone laminate (black & woodgrain). It has a slide out shelf, which is more than large enough for my computer keyboard, mouse and graphics tablet. Immediately above that is a shelf that just barely accomodates my Fatar MIDI keyboard controller (with a slight overhang of about 1-2 keys on either side -- which is perfectly playable.) The top center shelf will comforatbly hold a 19" LCD monitor (and probably a bit larger) -- but it buckled after a while when I intitially used a 19" CRT monitor on it. The two highest shelves (L&R) can hold my Genelec speakers just about at ear level, when mounted on Auralex foam bases. For the price, I have yet to find anything better. While it could have been just a bit wider and I wish that the bottom shelf were deeper (I managaed to make it support by subwoofer with an Auralex "granny") I don't really have room for anything larger.

Go Back to forum