• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: First GVI impressions

Share/Bookmark

First GVI impressions

Just my own thoughts and observations. Your mileage may vary:

1) No QuickSound. If you thought you had problems with QuickSound, try living without it. The only way to find sounds is an almost-standard popup Windows file browser. There's no apparent way to preview sounds, like there is in GigaStudio. When you click on a Gig file, a list of component instruments appears on a side window, allowing you to pick which ones you want to load.

2) ... Except this functionality doesn't seem to work. So at present, there's no way to load anything other than every instrument in a Gig file.

3) Even if they fix #2, #1 means that GVI isn't really suited for exploring large sound libraries. If you know exactly what you want, the file browser works great. But it's not as nice as having a persistent directory of sounds always available.

4) There doesn't seem to be any memory useage meter, so I can't provide any answers to the much-asked question about whether memory management is improved. At one point when I tried to load a number of instruments, GVI just ... stopped loading things. No error message of any kind. When I tried putting GVI in a VST host and loading lots of instruments, the host eventually crashed.

5) On the plus side, I was able to instantiate 10 GVI instances in a host. So theoretically polytimbrality has improved. But without any ability to measure memory management, it remains to be seen how useful this is.

My first impression is that the 3.5 version number is misleading - this feels very much like a 1.0 release, especially given the #2 bug above. (I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else has had the same problem.) The experience of using it, for me, a bit clumsy and unergonomic. If it does turn out to offer better memory management, then I might find a reason to use it. But for now, I'm going back to GS3. I personally wouldn't have bothered with the upgrade if I knew what the experience was going to be like.

Disclaimer: my DAW is not on the PC side, so I'm undoubtedly missing out on some of the advantages that the plugin format offers.

Re: First GVI impressions

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the review!

Regarding #1, that's not too big a deal for me. I tend to use Quicksound as an explorer window most of the time anyway

Regarding #2, that really needs to work.

Regarding #4, hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and use the Task Manager to check your memory usage. Since GVI works at the app layer, GVI doesn't really need it's own memory meter.

And, yes, by not integrating GVI into your DAW, you're not getting all of the benefits.

Personally, I plan to stick with GS3, because I prefer working with a single sampler app. I never liked the clickity-clicking with multiple instances of the Kontakt player, so I'm a bit biased. Also, I like running GigaPulse acrosss the whole sampler.

But for many GVI will be just what the doctor ordered. The most critical thing about the release so far is that I haven't read about any blue screens or hardware incompatibility. That and the ability to integrate into the DAW are the big wins for most users. Oh yeah - and the memory thing...

> I tend to use Quicksound as an explorer window most of the time anyway

Could you explain what you mean here? I'm curious if I'm missing out on some functionality.

Question Re: First GVI impressions

I recently received an email that my order has shipped and so I'm awaiting it's arrival.

With regard to the comments about GVI. Does anyone know haw it may work in Sonar with concurrent GPO instances? I'm hoping to use it this way to enable use of the two technologies together in the same project? I'll probably continue to uise Giga3 as well.

Thanks.

David M.

My GVI arrives today also. I've been running GPO with Sonar and GS3 with no problems in rewire mode. Works great with Sonar 6 too. We'll have to see how it works with GVI. The #2 problem above may make me only use GS3 until they fix it. Plus I too like the ability to use Giga pulse on what ever sound I like. My main interest in GVI is the ability to open a Sonar Project and have everything, sounds and all load up and be ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShapiro
    > I tend to use Quicksound as an explorer window most of the time anyway

Could you explain what you mean here? I'm curious if I'm missing out on some functionality.
    Hi Mike,

You're not missing a thing. I tend to know the names of my gigs, so rather than use quicksound's search features, I just scroll down to the sound I want and click it.

Frankly, I used QS more actively when a blank search window showed all of the gigs. Now, whenever I do a narrow search, I have to then re-type or select *.gig | *.gsi | *.gsp to see everything again. So I now avoid typing anything into the search window, unless I'm really lost.

The other problem is that many developers don't add the seach criteria into their gigs - and I don't take the time to add it myself.

Given that, I just use quicksound as one big list 90+% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody
    My GVI arrives today also. I've been running GPO with Sonar and GS3 with no problems in rewire mode. Works great with Sonar 6 too. We'll have to see how it works with GVI. The #2 problem above may make me only use GS3 until they fix it. Plus I too like the ability to use Giga pulse on what ever sound I like. My main interest in GVI is the ability to open a Sonar Project and have everything, sounds and all load up and be ready to play.
    Regarding GVI and GPO, I would be very, very surprised if the Tascam team didn't test this. Compatibility with lots of software and hardware was their goal, and there are lots of copies of GPO out there.

Regarding problem #2, we've only seen Mike's report on this. We don't yet know if this is peculiar to Mike's system, or if it's a wider problem.

Regarding GigaPulse, the most flexible solution is a powerful DAW with GigaPulse VST. Then you can *really* use GigaPulse on everything, not just samples played in GS3.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

Given that, I just use quicksound as one big list 90+% of the time.
    Oh, I understand - and that's how I use it too; as a directory, not a search facility. But my point is that this directory is gone in GVI. There's no easy way to browse through sounds. You pretty much call up a file requester, hunt down what you're looking for, and get it. Loading a sound interrupts workflow more than in GS3.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

Regarding problem #2, we've only seen Mike's report on this. We don't yet know if this is peculiar to Mike's system, or if it's a wider problem.
    I'd be very interested in hearing if anyone else runs into this problem. This would be very suggestive of a product rushed out the door, since it's hard to believe this could have gotten by QA testing.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShapiro
    I'd be very interested in hearing if anyone else runs into this problem. This would be very suggestive of a product rushed out the door, since it's hard to believe this could have gotten by QA testing.
    This is not a problem - it works fine, it just looks different. Using the Orchestral Percussion.gig file from the Sonivox GVI 1.1 demo content as an example, the .gig file hierarchy in GVI looks like this:

Click to Load>SONIVOX GVI 1.1>Orchestral Percussion>(individual instruments)

It's just a conventional layer of pop-ups instead of those fixed drop-downs like GS3 has.

As far a lack of search functionality, I've never used search so I don't miss it, but I can see where others might.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast