• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Free Bowed Vibraphone for Kontakt 2

Share/Bookmark

Free Bowed Vibraphone for Kontakt 2

Inspired by Thomas J.'s free harmon trumpet, which is one of the nicest instruments I've ever played (free or not), here is my own modest contribution. I am decidedly no Thomas J. This is just plain vanilla Bowed Vibraphone, but it's not something I've seen in any commercial library.

It's my first instrument. I restored an old project I recorded a few years ago, bounced a few notes and built it. I'd be curious to hear any feedback.

Also, if any more clever people out there want to improve it and repost it, that would be very community-oriented of you. For example, I tried looping the notes and had no great results. Maybe someone else would like to try. I also couldn't really figure out the envelopes. Maybe someone could make faster attacks with a mod wheel?

Enjoy.

http://www.johnmdavis.com/K2Instruments.html

Re: Free Bowed Vibraphone for Kontakt 2

Downloading now - will try it over the weekend. I love the sound of bowed vibes. Thanks for the contribution!

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Thanks a bunch, John. I'm writing a piece for percussion ensemble right now that features some bowed vibes, so this'll come in handy for the realizations.

I also see on your website that you're working on some music for a theatrical adaptation of Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - excellent! That's one of my favorite books, and I would love to see the final product. Be sure to keep us updated on that project- maybe I can see it next time I'm in NYC.

Thank you sir! ...What the hell is a bowed vibraphone? Seriously, anyone care to explain?

Now why didn't i downloaded that trumpet?..I will never know . I made a search, found the link but it's not working anymore . It would be nice if someone made it available again. please!

Thanks again for the gift

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    Thank you sir! ...What the hell is a bowed vibraphone? Seriously, anyone care to explain?

Now why didn't i downloaded that trumpet?..I will never know . I made a search, found the link but it's not working anymore . It would be nice if someone made it available again. please!

Thanks again for the gift
    A bowed vibraphone is the extended technique of using a cello bow to bow the edge of one of the keys with the sustain pedal held (it sounds really cool with the motor on too). It produces an eerie, glassy effect.

James G. Eakin III
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School

Quote Originally Posted by JamesIII
    A bowed vibraphone is the extended technique of using a cello bow to bow the edge of one of the keys with the sustain pedal held (it sounds really cool with the motor on too). It produces an eerie, glassy effect.

James G. Eakin III
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    Sounds interesting , thanks for the info James.

Bowed vibraphone has actually been around for a while. I don't know who used it first, but George Crumb used it in several pieces going back to the 1960s. Also Jennifer Higdon used it in the fourth movement of her amazing "Concerto for Orchestra," recorded by the Atlanta Symphony a couple of years ago.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks, John. I really like these sort-of "uncooked" libraries.
    This one's very nice... just as it is.

I would be realyl interested in getting it but sadly don't have K2...

But I have several pieces using it... It has such a nice an eerie sound...

This will work in mac and Pc right?

Go Back to forum