• Register
  • Help

Topic: I dont know much about garritan

Share/Bookmark

I dont know much about garritan

how does garritan stack next to sonic implants for example?

I own GPO, but i must admit it was not 100 percent impressive, a few decent sounds, harp and celeste i still use.

I am in the market for chamber size samples and a solo cello and clarinet.

Re: I dont know much about garritan

If you "don't know much about Garritan" you have come to the right place. There is a learning curve to being familiar with GPO and here you can learn how to use it. GPO is quite different in its approach, using ensemble building but it is not difficult to master. You mentioned you wanted chamber size samples and you can create them with GPO using ensemble building.

There are various tutorials to help you as well. If you let us know your method of using GPO (Sonar, Cubase, Finale, etc). there are plenty of people to help.

As far as how GPO compares to Sonic Implants they are quite different. GPO is a library of individual instruments and SI is section based. GPO is a software/plug-in instrument costing $199 and I believe Sonic Implants is a kontakt/giga library (requiring the sampler) and costing several thousand dollars. There are about 15 other orchestral libraries also to expand your pallete of sounds as well, and some of them excellent. It is often a matter of working style and personal taste. This is probably not the best place to ask about comparisons as this is a Personal Orchestra forum.

If you want a dedicated solo cello check out the Gofriller Solo Cello which we expect to be released later next month.

Thanks for posting.

Gary Garritan

well i meant how do top of the line Garritan products stack next to Sonic Implants? Which I have found to be the best so far, (again not familiar with your line)

Can someone direct me to some nice demos? direct links to the finest? so i do not have to surf around all day in the listening room?

Thanks!

Sinner,

There are only a couple of Gofriller Cello demos posted here (maybe only one?). Anyway...I am using it and can tell you that it is horrifyingly good.

(I don't think that violates my non-disclosure agreement)

The purpose of GPO is to make sounds CPU efficient enough to be able to load an entire Orchestra at once. The purpose of Gofriller Cello is to sound amazing and allow you to play expressively.

jmp

Quote Originally Posted by The Sinner
    Can someone direct me to some nice demos?
    There are alot of demo's at, Garritan.com, as well as a complete listing of current products.
    In my view, the larger sample libraries and GPO, are two different things.
    The strength of GPO is the abililty to "play-in" the various parts (using the mod-wheel) and get a very nice representation. It also works well for mock-ups using Finale.
    I have a pretty fair collection of sounds from various libraries but still, most often, use GPO when roughing in an orchestral composition.

Other than GPO (and JABB etc.) there is the Stradavari (virtual violin) which is the state of the art for simulating a violin performance.

The big difference here, for my money, is playability.
    More than anything else it depends almost intirely on what you want it to do... and what method of getting there you prefer to use.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sinner
    how does garritan stack next to sonic implants for example?
    I can hear you. When I was on "deciding tour" months ago I found that the Sonic Implants demos were the best I found, and they were exactly what I wanted.

Then I looked at the price and my budget and decided to think again, hehe.

Meanwhile I found out that it takes more than an excellent library to make great mockups. It needs patience, dedication, much computer power (fortunately not with GPO), some experience and musicianship. The Sonic Implants demos are great partly because they are the work of great writers who spent lots of time on it. Quite some GPO mockups are bad or mediocre because they are the work of beginners ... or even serious composers that just concentrate more on the writing than on the sound.

I can admit that I was mildly shocked when I used GPO at the beginning. Everything sounded so ... synthy. Sorry for using this word, but it was just like that.

But then I learned the three big secrets of GPO:

- Never leave the cc#01 alone.

Whether you move the modwheel or use dynamics in notation or draw curves in a sequencer - the cc#01 has to be changed within a note or it will sound synthy (this is for strings, winds, brass). I did it, and together with a decent reverb this changed the overall sound completely.

Of course we run into a problem here: How much, when and how should I change the cc#01 data?

Changing the cc#01 data means inevitable that one note will be louder or softer than the next. How can I know, which I should choose? Decisions, decisions.

Actually it is YOU that is bound to make these decisions. It is your musicianship that is called for. If you can make these decisions you can do very convincing mockups with GPO. And trust me, if you can hear the quality of the SI demos you can also learn to make these decisions.

See the works of DPDAN, valhalx and others. They are done with GPO mainly and sound great.

If you can not make these decisions then this will be heard even with multi-thousand USD libraries. They may sound somewhat nicer at the start but only to a certain point. After that, it will show whether YOU can shape them or not. Don't be fooled, to make an excellent mockup with other libraries also takes days over days.

This is why people refer to GPO as a musical library. It forces you to shape your music and decide. You have to take care of every note. If you refuse, you will be punished at once by the audible result. Which is a good thing IMHO.

I can say I have learned a lot through the use of GPO even for my "normal" (live) music. If it were all self-automatic (but always the same) I would probably be gone very soon.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

[quote=The Sinner] a few decent sounds, harp and celeste i still use.
    quote]

PS.: This shows exactly where the problem is. These are sounds that don't demand shaping. Think about it.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum