• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dynamics

Share/Bookmark

Dynamics

Hi,

a general remark to the use of the dynamics in Notion:

If they are used as "delivered" then one will run into a similar problem as with other notation programs: The developers want to divide the dynamical range between softest and loudest passages into so many variants that the difference between successive dynamics like say mp and mf is not big enough. Which results in renderings that are by far not as impressive as they could be.

For comparision here is a small snippet where I really took care as much about the dynamics as I could. Nevertheless you will notice that it is still static in comparition to the the repetition with enhanced dynamics:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4530192&q=hi

I am using used a workaround in Overture: There you can redefine the dynamical map. I will rather abandon the difference between ffff and fffff than the difference between p and mp. With other words, the "distances" between two adjacent dynamics is bigger in the middle range than in the extremes. Btw as a string player I would play as loudest as I could when I see fff in the score anyway, and ff is not really far away.

I have seen that one can redefine dynamical markings (give a fff a hidden value of fffff) which is very nice. But that works on individual base and not as a global settings. Is there any way to achieve that?

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Re: Dynamics

John,

yes, I am aware of the f - and ppp + controls ... if you listen to my demo you will notice it.

What I am saying is that the difference between p, mp, mf and f should be bigger. Write a crescendo from mp to mf in one string voice over one bar and you will notice that it can hardly be noticed - it is simply to small. Live players would make much more volume differences.

Of couse you could fix this in two ways:

1. Write a crescendo from mp to f. But that would make the score less useable for live use.
    2. Substitute the mf by a hidden f or f - ... and so on. This is what I did in the second half of my demo. But this is frustrating on the long term.

Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    John,

yes, I am aware of the f - and ppp + controls ... if you listen to my demo you will notice it.

What I am saying is that the difference between p, mp, mf and f should be bigger. Write a crescendo from mp to mf in one string voice over one bar and you will notice that it can hardly be noticed - it is simply to small. Live players would make much more volume differences.

Of couse you could fix this in two ways:

1. Write a crescendo from mp to f. But that would make the score less useable for live use.
    2. Substitute the mf by a hidden f or f - ... and so on. This is what I did in the second half of my demo. But this is frustrating on the long term.

Hannes
    Unfortunately, things like dynamics are quite subjective, and we based our volume curve on recommendations from Jack Jarrett and members of the London Sympony. It's possible that at some point we'll be able to give users control over their own volume curve, but it won't be in the near future. Until then, unfortunately, work-arounds are necessary. The only other thing I could recommend would be maybe one score for human performance and one for writing and playback purposes.

Another possibility that escaped me earlier is using hidden markings such as "mf+" or "p-" to further add amplitude resolution without affecting the way the score is written. These are under the dynamics menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Windsor
    Another possibility that escaped me earlier is using hidden markings such as "mf+" or "p-" to further add amplitude resolution without affecting the way the score is written. These are under the dynamics menu.
    Jason,

thank you, and as I mentioned in my initial post I use that all the time. It is rather time-consuming though since the according menu will not open automatically if you tap in f or p. To change it for every single dynamics is ... a pain if you use as much dynamics as I do .

Hannes

Go Back to forum