• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem with slurring

Share/Bookmark

Problem with slurring

Hi,

currently I have a problem with slurs. I have entered two (different) half notes in a violin section, activate the slur tool, click on the first note and then move the mouse to the second note (no dragging). As supposed there materializes a red slur.

I click again and the slur is gone instead of turning black.

This happens only with the first bar, the others work fine. What is to do here?

Notion demo 1.5.7

Thank you

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Re: Problem with slurring

Hi Hannes. Slurring can be excellent or it can a pain. It sounds like you are doing everything correct--the key is to start the slur on the first note. I have had probems with slurs in Notion--usually when there is a problem, it just won't slur--oftentimes this happens when there are only 2 notes to be slurred.

John

When this happens, highlight the section (1 bar, 1 staff at a time). Use the right click menu> cut / copy special> cut the lower or upper voice. Paste special back without transposition and your slurs should be available.

Sometimes it seems (especially in 1.5.7) that an articulate form of two-voice takes over (Bug???).

Also some slurring in two voice is dependant to the top of bottom of the staff.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by TDet
    When this happens, highlight the section (1 bar, 1 staff at a time). Use the right click menu> cut / copy special> cut the lower or upper voice. Paste special back without transposition and your slurs should be available.

Sometimes it seems (especially in 1.5.7) that an articulate form of two-voice takes over (Bug???).

Also some slurring in two voice is dependant to the top of bottom of the staff.

TC
    I do the same thing. I find dragging slurs to be difficult sometimes so the Add Special feature is very helpful. Sometimes, it's difficult to remove slurs or crecendos so the Cler Special feature also is a big help.

I think we all realize that these things happen as NOTION is still a pretty new program. I cannot tell you how many times I found bugs in Finale or Sonar or Overture when they were first out. In fact, I think NOTION is pretty good insofar as general operation is concerned.

My advice (from Technical Support) was to re-input one of the notes, then try the slur again. It has worked for me

Another thing I've discovered - slurs with tuplets are almost always wrong (join the wrong notes) if the slur is on the same side of the notes as the bracket and numeral. It doesn't matter if the bracket is shown or not. Changing the bracket to the other side of the figure fixes the slurs.

I have found using the tab key with slurs works best for me, tuplets or otherwise. The brackets just switch when the end of the slur locks on the last note. When it came out of the box, the slurs seemed to be a bit of problem -- sometimes -- but once I updated the slurs work ok. Out of box my version printed pretty good, but now with the update, there are some problems which I've addressed elsewhere. These things must drive the folks who write the code crazy

Go Back to forum