• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Best sampled electric guitar simulator?

Share/Bookmark

Best sampled electric guitar simulator?

Best sampled electric guitar simulator?

Re: Best sampled electric guitar simulator?

For an insanely detailed lib, price no object (think VSL) the Prominy LPC seems extremely good. For a great sounding lib that plays much better in real time and is very reasonably priced look at Bela D's Lyrical Distortion. If I had to pick one (and I did) I would get LD, and if I could afford LPC I would have both.

Thanks Fred!

I knew that Prominy LPC was up there. But I ever knew about Lyrical Distortion 2. I just checked out its demo and it sounded pretty sweet!

Seems with LD2 just one guitar was sampled whereas with LPC you have a choice of several guitars. But it seems LD2 has all the essential articulations you need and I love the idea of having 4 samples per notes for true authenticity! The price is right. I may very well go with LD2!

Thanks!

Deleted by mistake

since you mentioned it here...

for a bass library it is hard to beat Scarbees fingered and slapped bass libraries. I'm still using the GS versions, and they are the only basses (other than the real things) I use.

Drums is a lot trickier... I ended up using DFH Superior and Jamstix (previously I used Musiclabs MFX plugins, but Jamstix is even better).

But there are tons of alternatives!!

Toontracks EZ-Drummer is certainly a good alternative. If I did not have DFH Superior I'd have probably grabbed it myself.

FXPansion's BFD is another really cool library, and Guru is a pretty cool tool as well.

Scarbee and Larry Seyer both have full on drum libraries as well, and both of them sound great.

The reason I chose DFH Superior over BFD (the only two out at the time) was that DFH Superior includes all the really cool hand percussion stuff. Since then they've added two additional libraries of kits, their Custom and Vintage instrument and their Vintage Add-on.

Yup... lots of choices!

PS- I didn't answer the guitar question because I am a guitarist, and perfer to play my own parts. If I wasn't the LD libraries are pretty darned impressive!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Actually, that's true, you do get a lot more flexibility from clean guitar samples. I pretty sure that LD3 is going to be clean. I think that is on the way; not sure how soon. Someone from Bela D. Media may jump in here. But if you know you basically want crunch then LD1+2 has that great tone already there.

I totally second Scarbee J-Bass as an incredibly good sounding library- very playable and tons of articulations. For a single sampled bass it's my favorite. Trilogy is probably the way to go for more variety; it has a great cross-section of acoustic and electric basses. Rumour has it that Bela D. also has some exciting things up their sleeve in this regard for the future.

BTW, speaking of Bela D. Media, if you are on a budget you should look seriously at Studio B. You get a fine sounding drum kit, bass and a cleaner version of the LD guitar all in one great priced package- everything you need, and then you can add more detailed stuff down the road.

Otherwise, I'm all about Toontrack drums. If you like to produce and mix Superior/C&V is IMHO the best sampled drum sounds available. If you want it to sound great and preprocessed out of the box and/or prefer MIDI grooves already done and ready to go EZDrummer with the new expansion packs are the way to go.

I completely agree with Lee about using a clean library through a Pod or Guitar Rig 2 or Amplitude 2, etc. Very versitile. I love the Prominy clean library, you can pull off some amazing things with it. I'm sure I would own LD by now if there was a clean version and hope that Bela D does come out with one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    For a great sounding lib that plays much better in real time and is very reasonably priced look at Bela D's Lyrical Distortion.
    I don't know about playing better in real time. Have you seen the LPC Super Instrument for K2? If not, check this video out..
    http://www.prominy-ss.com/LPC/LPC_super_p_multi.wmv

Thumbs up Re: Best sampled electric guitar simulator?

----------------------------------------

Wow. GREAT replies! Helped out a lot.

Prominy and Lyrical Distortion (1 & 2) both seem perfect for my needs, but I'm leaning towards Lyrical Distortion so I can can get EZ Drummer too!

Wondering if I shold get LD 1 or LD2. Hmmm.

Awesome advice about using the clean guitar with an amp plugin! Excellent!

midi.om is selling LD1 and LD2 for $129 each! Might go with that! Wish I was here for the group buy!

----------------------

Go Back to forum