• Register
  • Help

Topic: Impending Doom - Concert Band

Share/Bookmark

Impending Doom - Concert Band

I decided to do a re-work of my orchestral suite: The Reach Beyond Tomorrow. This is the first movement:

Impending Doom - BAND

which is now scored for Full Concert Band. I am trying to explore other 'markets' for my music. Since I don't have the band version of GPO, I fudged the Saxophone section by using English Horn and Bassoons to cover the timbres.

Any thoughts on how well this works for a band setting would be appreciated.

Re: Impending Doom - Concert Band

Very well done,William; this "re-work" results in quite
    a strong and impactful band piece. Very ingenious
    (and effective!) use of English horn and bassoon --
    I never would have thought of that, but it works
    like a charm.

Just a thought, but you might also include a link to
    the original movement from the orchestral suite.
    Transforming a piece like this from an orchestral
    setting to a band ensemble requires more than mere
    transcription, I think; and the comparison between
    the two would be most elucidative of the techniques
    involved.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Just a thought, but you might also include a link to
    the original movement from the orchestral suite.
    Transforming a piece like this from an orchestral
    setting to a band ensemble requires more than mere
    transcription, I think; and the comparison between
    the two would be most elucidative of the techniques
    involved.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Good idea Dave

So for those who would like to compare, here is the link to the original orchestral version:

Orchestral Impending Doom

Very well done... I believe this would play well live... enjoyed the percussive brass and the unique percussion; almost native American sounding, during the middle section of the piece. Good job...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Very well done... I believe this would play well live... enjoyed the percussive brass and the unique percussion; almost native American sounding, during the middle section of the piece. Good job...

Michael
    Thanks Michael, I am glad you enjoyed the piece. I am currently working on the other 3 movements, and will post them when they are finished.

Nice work !

Very engaging. I enjoyed the driving percussion section.

The harmony and mood reminded me of Basil Poledouris. ( Conan flicks)

Very nice!

~Jeff

Ah, one of my all time favorite movie scorers (Basil Poledouris), thanks for the compliment Jeff.

GaryBric sent me some email suggsting some rendering changes (mostly to reverb and decay) So I am including the re-worked version here per the instructions of GaryBric. Maybe it sounds more 'alive' now:

Impending Doom-Band-reverb adjustments

If anyone would care to listen to both postings and comment on the difference, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Ah, one of my all time favorite movie scorers (Basil Poledouris), thanks for the compliment Jeff.

GaryBric sent me some email suggsting some rendering changes (mostly to reverb and decay) So I am including the re-worked version here per the instructions of GaryBric. Maybe it sounds more 'alive' now:

Impending Doom-Band-reverb adjustments

If anyone would care to listen to both postings and comment on the difference, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    William,

YES!!! You have it now. A very nice work and now with the feeling of depth and spatial perception that it deserves.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I'm not sure which version I listened to, but I liked what I heard, especially the last 2/3 thirds. In fact, I liked the woodwind instrument writing so much that I'd say to make it sound better just eliminate the brass altogether! (hee, hee, woodwind player here).

YBaCuO

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    I'm not sure which version I listened to, but I liked what I heard, especially the last 2/3 thirds. In fact, I liked the woodwind instrument writing so much that I'd say to make it sound better just eliminate the brass altogether! (hee, hee, woodwind player here).

YBaCuO
    Thank you for listening, I am glad you enjoyed it. Brass, what brass, oh yeah those metal tubes that you buzz with your lips - now that's gotta hurt!

Go Back to forum