• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: I am building a new website...

Share/Bookmark

I am building a new website...

...and I would appreciate it if you would visit it and click on a few file names and generally check things out, when you have a spare moment.

Constructing a website is something new for me. It's my first time, so be gentle with me.

I would appreciate your suggestions and guidance. This site is far from being completed. The link is:

http://www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks very much in advance. I really appreciate it.

Regards to all,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: I am building a new website...

OK, but remember (a) you asked, and (b) I'm an internet crumudgeon!

I love the overall look, and the operation. I like the fact that you put your acceptable use clause right up front instead of burying it somewhere in a tiny font footnote.

Kudos too for making a note about downloading files... there are still people out there who don't know the difference between downloading and streaming!

Now some nit picking...

First, lose the intro page. I really dislike those things. Yes, they are catchy, but they do little to enhance the experience, in my experience<G>!

Second, consider your color and font choices carefully. I found it a bit tough to read the home page on my laptop.

Third - well, I'm of mixed feelings on the menus. On the one and I'd recommend collapsing them because there are just two many fields, but on the other hand, it sure made navigation simple! Perhaps meaningful names for each of the music example menu items would solve that problem?

I'd also consider organizing the music in a little more structured hierarchy. That's a lot of pages with a lot of entries (yeah, that's partly me being jealous of your output!!!)

Loved the bio! Short, to the point, wonderful. And the page looks gorgeous, and is easily readable. Probably the nicest looking page so far.

I think you might, over time, consider expanding on the "about the studio" part. Not because it is necessary, but it will bring people to your site. We are all curious, to some degree, about how other folks accomplish their magic.

It appears you are using someone's canned web site design, and that's fine, but if you take a little time I think you can learn enough about HTML, CSS, etc to make the page stand out.

Most important to remember... have fun with it, and continue to as questions here. There are lots of knowledgable folk hanging out here.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Thanks for looking and thank you for the great suggestions.

I am using the hosting service's "Website Builder" software. The program is very simple and not very flexible. It doesn't allow you to do a lot of things.

Thanks again.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi, always like to hear and download your music Larry.
    I like your new website, i would like to see some musical graphic at the left, or even some photo of you making music. Some photos also can be good in the bio section.
    You have lot of music, and you usually post it here. Maybe you can include the link to the forum where you make some comments and received opinions of folks at the right side of the link of the music itself, so who is browsing your site can make comments or know more about what is hearing.
    A little detail is that your website is displayed in my firefox like "A Website Builder Website - Home", you can change that to something more adecuate, like "Larry Alexander Music"

Best regards, and thanks for your nice music,
    Marcelo Colina

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Your suggestion about having people comment on my music will have to wait until I learn more about how to set up a website. I'm struggling right now to do what I have already done. I'll learn...I'll learn.

I don't think that people would want to see photos, would they? I'm not very photogenic.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I have only time to look at your website for a few seconds, but there is one thing that I did not like: The intro!

It is completely useless and actually made me close the page without bothering to go on.

You can say "Hello" on the mainpage in one line and that will save the user a pointless mouseclick and searching for the "skip" button.

Not trying to be negative, just saying my 2c!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Thumbs up Re: I am building a new website...

Larry,
    I like it, nice and clean and easy to find everything, easy to navigate. In my opinion the intro was nice and looked great, and it was over quick so it doesn't have time to bother the visitor, like some long ones do. The long ones are sometmes irritating if they don't have a button to skip intro, but this one does not seem to need it.

I have always thought pictures of nature or landscape scenes or impressionist art go very well with great music, so that would a nice addition if you also like that and if that setup program allows for it.

Best Regards,
    David

PS: In the "View" dropdown menu of the browser you can view "Page Source" which will show you the html or css markup it is written in, and you can modify as desired if you know html, in the file folder the contents of the web pages are stored in. If not, it's very easy to learn the basics with this tutorial i found on the web.

http://www.pagetutor.com/html_tutor/index.html

It doesn't take long at all to go through the lessons.

This free Notetab lite they recommend for editing pages, or any text file, is awesome.
    http://www.notetab.com/

This tutorial is slightly more advanced and I like this guy's book.jpg he used to make his pages.
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/

... and that W3C site has everything.

I'm going to try to make one soon when I get a chance to go back over that first site's lessons to refresh my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    ...and I would appreciate it if you would visit it and click on a few file names and generally check things out, when you have a spare moment.

Constructing a website is something new for me. It's my first time, so be gentle with me.

I would appreciate your suggestions and guidance. This site is far from being completed. The link is:

http://www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks very much in advance. I really appreciate it.

Regards to all,

Larry Alexander

Hi Larry,

I think that you underestimate yourself. I reckon you've done a damn good job there. It's clear, to the point and easy to navigate. I would be doing you a disservice, though, if I didn't make you aware that someone has put spectacles on the second photo in your bio. If that wasn't bad enough they're on really crooked!
    BTW, you look very well for a man who has just recovered from being rather ill. You certainly must have taken the right tablets! I'm guessing, but is that white frothy stuff around the lower margins of your face a side-effect of the treatment?
    Another thing I noticed is that you forgot to mention that you have the Tuba and Banjo libraries from Front Porch!

Best regards

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    PS: In the "View" dropdown menu of the browser you can view "Page Source" which will show you the html or css markup it is written in, and you can modify as desired if you know html, in the file folder the contents of the web pages are stored in. If not, it's very easy to learn the basics with this tutorial i found on the web.

http://www.pagetutor.com/html_tutor/index.html

It doesn't take long at all to go through the lessons.

This free Notetab lite they recommend for editing pages, or any text file, is awesome.
    http://www.notetab.com/

This tutorial is slightly more advanced and I like this guy's book.jpg he used to make his pages.
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/

... and that W3C site has everything.

I'm going to try to make one soon when I get a chance to go back over that first site's lessons to refresh my memory.
    Thank you, David, for the information and links. I certainly appreciate it.

I don't know HTML but I can learn it. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.
    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum