• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: the dreaded modwheel issue

Share/Bookmark

the dreaded modwheel issue

hello!
    I have just recieved GPO!

okay my situation is a bit different than others. More or less I can't play out of the box the way I sequence. I use what is called a tracker interface to sequence my music, not sure if anyones ultra familiar with it... More or less its a spreadsheet that is not unlike a pianoroll. I run this interface through my host and I am wondering is there ANY way we can BYPASS the modwheel effect because I want to frankly be able to simply use velocity to control this function. Would I have to load each instrument and modify it somehow?

Please any help would be wonderful, because at this point I'm majorly disappointed... (I want to use it so bad!)

RonC

Re: the dreaded modwheel issue

Quote Originally Posted by Rpc9943
    hello!
    I have just recieved GPO!

okay my situation is a bit different than others. More or less I can't play out of the box the way I sequence. I use what is called a tracker interface to sequence my music, not sure if anyones ultra familiar with it... More or less its a spreadsheet that is not unlike a pianoroll. I run this interface through my host and I am wondering is there ANY way we can BYPASS the modwheel effect because I want to frankly be able to simply use velocity to control this function. Would I have to load each instrument and modify it somehow?

Please any help would be wonderful, because at this point I'm majorly disappointed... (I want to use it so bad!)

RonC
    You can of course map the velocity to the modweel (cc#01).

But you will never get a halfway impressive result if you do not change the cc#01 data within a note. Sorry. String, brass and wind players think and feel and play different from piano players ... and the more from musicians that are used to trackers. Think of a singer - not only the start of a note counts but also how it develops and how it ends.

If you are very patient you can program cc#01 changes in a tracker also but it is tedious.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

so theres NO other workaround so i cant launch any of those instruments gpo without like having it on the middle setting???

this is definately a huge disappointment if so. no way to modify the script?

RonC

I agree with Hannes that mapping CC1 to velocity will not give you a good result. The sound will be very static and will not give you pleasant results. Velocity is recommended for percussive instruments. Also, GPO uses velocity to control the amount of attack for each note. Lower velocities have slower attacks with high velocities with fast attacks good for staccato notes. CC1 is necessary to change the volume and timbre of the note over time as a real musician would do.

Jim

okay im going to find out how to map that then, if its that big of a deal

it just is so much easier with every single other string lib i have :P

RonC

This is another one where the X-Custom instruments can provide you with the ability to choose your volume/timbre controller. Velocity is one of the choices for the custom slider.

But let me emphasize that the other people in this thread who have encouraged you to use a continuous controller like mod wheel (not velocity) are absolutely correct. While the X-Custom instruments will give you the choice you want, it will come at a very high price. You will be eliminating one of the most important (possibly THE most important) features responsible for the realism of the library - one that lets the user emulate the dynamically expressive nature of wind and string instruments. This cannot be done with a single-value-per-note controller like velocity, which is one of the reasons we have chosen to depart from the convention of many other libraries. It is, of course, up to you to use the tools as you desire but you should understand the significant reduction in realism that will come with this choice.

See my post in the following thread for more info on the X-Custom folder of instruments: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=48243

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Rpc9943
    okay im going to find out how to map that then, if its that big of a deal

it just is so much easier with every single other string lib i have :P

RonC
    Yes and there is a reason for it. If something gives you more freedom of choice then it may demand more care.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Hmm out of curiosity, how do other strings libraries do crescendos and the like without using the mod control (or something similar)?

Most string libraries use CC11 (Expression controller) which changes the volume only. This will be the volume of the sample layer that was triggered by velocity. So if you hit a low velocity, then you'll just be changing the volume of the soft sample. This isn't very realistic as the timbre should change as the sound gets louder. Most libraries will use the mod wheel to crossfade between sample layers and then you have to control the volume with CC11. This creates twice the work to change volume and timbre. This is the nice thing with GPO as it does both with one controller.

Sonic morphing with harmonic alignment which is used in the Solo Strad goes one step further by having seamless morphing between the layers to get more than the normal 4 velocity layers used in most libraries. It also works for solo instruments. Normal crossfading only works for ensemble instruments. Crossfading causes phasing issues and the sound of 2 samples playing as you crossfade.

Jim

okay I actually just learned how to control the modwheel from within my tracker interface through the host... im in heaven now- havent been able to test it out in the DAW yet (on laptop with a synth vsti) but i am more than excited, thank you for explaining the intricacies, I cannot WAIT to try this out now!

when we enter notes on the keyboard manually, we shold just automate with the modwheel correct?

RonC

Go Back to forum