• Register
  • Help

Topic: Conversions

Share/Bookmark

Question Conversions

Hi, it seems that Notation is quite interesting piece of software.

Now, I'm a long time Sibelius user so I would like to ask if it's possible to convert .sib files over to Notation files as it would take few years to write it all again into new software hehe...
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Conversions

er, the program is actualled called NOTION rather than NOTATION. Aside from that, it is a very cool program. The program does have Musc XML which I believe is the standard for notation programs.

Incidentally, I exported a NOTION file into Overture 4 to have a piece played with my EWQLSO Gold Pro samples and it worked rather well.

Talking Re: Conversions

hehe... uppsss.. sorry for the misspell!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    er, the program is actualled called NOTION rather than NOTATION. Aside from that, it is a very cool program. The program does have Musc XML which I believe is the standard for notation programs.

Incidentally, I exported a NOTION file into Overture 4 to have a piece played with my EWQLSO Gold Pro samples and it worked rather well.
    May I ask how you did the export? I have the Notion demo and Overture 4 but did not find a way ...

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

I've tried MusicXML as a way of porting to Notion but I found that the result was very inaccurate. In particular Notion does not seem to handle staves with more than one voice, and stacks the second voice at the end of the bar, thus making the bars double the size and the score unusable.

There may be settings somewhere I didn't see or didn't get right, but otherwise I can only hope that XML import will improve.

I also tried loading MIDI files created in Sibelius, and to my surprise found that was inaccurate as well. Of course with MIDI you also end up with all sorts of strange rhythmic and pitch mis-spellings, which take an age to correct.

So I've ended up having a copy of Sibelius on screen, a copy of Notion running, and a strip of magnifier across the top (because I'm visually impaired and Notion's zoom doesn't get big enough for me). I re-input the notes - laborious, but the only way of (a) getting some of my scores to sound well and (b) the only way I can compare the products.

Go Back to forum