• Register
  • Help

Topic: need help with GPO trumpets

Share/Bookmark

need help with GPO trumpets

I just am not satisfied with the sound I'm getting with GPO trumpets. They sound very synth-like to me.
    I substituted the piccolo trumpet and it sounds more lifelike. But i feel like I'm missing something here... has anyone else experienced this? like everyone else knows something about trumpets that I don't? Every other instrument in GPO sounds great (except the solo viola), I have a tough time believing that the trumpets are so just not good sounds. It seems more likely that there is some trick i'm not hip to.

maybe I should post a link to a rough-mix of my work-in-progress to illustrate and to get better advise.
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

Re: need help with GPO trumpets

You know, of all the instruments, the trumpet is the one that gives me the most trouble. Mine always sound a bit lame, so hopefully somebody has some advice...

Hi,

both the solo viola and the trumpet can sound great if you add a cc#1 envelope to every tone. Secondly edit the cc#24 value (I play the cc#1 with the modwheel and the cc#24 with a foot pedal).

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

I would add that you must get the tonguing/slurring aspect right (cc64.) The most successful simulations almost always have excellent rendering of articulations. Appropriate velocity values and note lengths on the tongued notes are also critical. Slurred notes must overlap. Check to make sure you have the pedal mode set to choice #2 in the Options list. Don't use average mod wheel levels that are too high - consistently high values are akin to the player always blowing as hard as he/she can - rarely done. Give yourself room for dynamics. Use VAR1 and VAR2 in strategically targeted areas like fast runs or repeated notes. Keep in mind that players can only adjust intonation (by ear) on notes that are held long enough to give the player time for adjustment. No instrument is perfectly in tune on all notes and no player is perfectly consistent in execution. Applying VAR to the most likely situations where inaccuracies will occur can be a big help. Too perfect almost always sounds artificial. As a brass player myself, I will attest that we are notoriously imperfect. Use that fact.

Do not mix your trumpets dry. Give them an acoustic environment. In orchestral pieces the trumpets are near the back of the stage - take this into account when you mix. Space is very important for a convincing illusion even when it's intended to be a small space.

There are many examples of the GPO trumpets (an other brass) sounding very good indeed but success depends largely on the skill of the user.

Tom

thanks all, esp tom. i will fool around with the VAR knobs and slurrings and stuff. i think this will take me some time... not something i have a lot of. I guess "the journey, not the destination" right?
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

Good set of tips from Tom. I think the Brass sample 'loops' in GPO are too short so can sound synthy as a direct result, but as Tom says, there is a lot you can do to bring them to life. Here is a link to two Dave Maddux pieces (thanks for refreshing the location Gary on the other thread) that show what can be done with GPO trumpets (the second link with muted tpt):

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/dm-ShoppingWithLola.mp3

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/dm-CrazyRhythm.mp3

Go Back to forum