• Register
  • Help

Topic: need recommendation on a book to study classical forms

Share/Bookmark

need recommendation on a book to study classical forms

hi everyone,

it's been almost a year since i posted in this forum. i got a new job which kicked my behind for the last 8 months or so, but I'm slowly coming back to life and starting to write music again.

i'm looking for a book to give me an introduction to classical forms. not really a theory book; i studied harmony & counterpoint & stuff at school, but since i was a jazz major, i didn't really learn details about classical forms & techniques, just sweeping generalizations. i'd like to start with, you know, 18th century forms, or whatever is suggested.

since i got GPO, i've been getting more into classical music, but i find i am lacking in knowledge of form. i've learned a lot about orchestration in the last year from reading, writing, and playing with GPO. a good book on classical form will help me out.

thanks, Nigam
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

Re: need recommendation on a book to study classical forms

'The Classical Style' and 'Sonata Forms' by Charles Rosen are both superb.

Rosen is fine, but goes into the subject in great depth. If all you want is a readable summary which gives all the facts in easy style, I can highly recommend Musical Structure and Design by Cedric Thorpe Davie. Dover publish it or you can get it from Amazon.

Arnold Schoenberg´s "Fundamentals of musical composition" is quite good too.(You will need a copy of Beethoven´s piano sonatas though.)

I have enjoyed and profited from Douglass Green's "Form in Tonal Music". It uses Charles Burkhart's "Anthology for Musical Analysis" extensively, so you really need both.

One problem: they are quite pricey, especially since you need both. On the other hand, they have been out for a long time (my editions are over 40 years old) so you should be able to pick them up second hand.

And yes, I just checked the AbeBooks website, and they offer them at about $8 and $4 respectively.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

just picked up Rosen's "The Classical Style". It is a little more in depth than what I was looking for, but so far, it seems excellent.

Maybe will check out other recommendations. Thank you everyone.
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

Go Back to forum