• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mix Help!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Mix Help!!!!

You folks are so good at mixing etc. Would someone mind giving a listen to these two smooth jazz tunes and tell me if I am on the right track? (no pun intended)

http://www.broadjam.com/rpjazz

Thanks!!

Peace

rikp

Re: Mix Help!!!!

Hi rikp -

Pretty good sounding recordings overall I think. Very professional sounding, nice tasteful melodies. The thing that stands out most to me is that the drums are way too low on both tunes. The solos *may* be a little too over the top (volume-wise), but it's hard to say without the drums up where they should be (IMHO). The bass guitar seemed a tad low as well, esp. on 2AM. But get them drums up and you'll have a very slick recording. Nice playing and writing, good tones on the instruments. Nice job!

Andy

Hi Andy!

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and for the input! It is much appreciated! I will take your advice and try to get drums a little hotter! Again, thanks so much for taking the time to listen.

Peace

rp

The music is nice, but here goes, I am not trying to be hurtful, I am just pointing out what is obvious to me listening only on a pair of cheap computer speakers.

The song starts and everything has a wishy washy out of phaser sound to almost everything in the mix, piano especially. Some type of plugin somewhere is trying to create a cheap sudo surround type of effect and needs to go bye bye.

The weird airy sounding synth patch is swimming around playing weird chords and needs to be much louder so the notes can be heard or better would be to use a different sound and proper backing "pad" chords.

From 1:00 - 1:02 the bass is playing wrong notes.
    WOW the piano is really out of phase again at 1:31.

At 1:47, the entire mix instantly goes totally mono, then back to stereo at 1:54. At 2:12 the electric piano suddenly goes hard left?
    I just heard the bass playing the same exact wrong notes. Never cut and paste, especially jazz.

These are just a few obvious things that really need to be addressed. Again, you asked for some advice, and I decided to offer since the musical ideas are real nice.

I hope you are not offended at my abrupt advice.
    These comments regard 2am I did not listen to the other song.
    The EQ on the piano needs a serious cut around 400-600hz.
    Dan

Dan:

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your honesty. That is what I was looking for. I will revisit the song!

Peace

rikp

I have a couple of comments, Rick, but more from an arranging perspective. First, I really like your compositions and your playing. Both are first rate. You have a really professional sound.

My first observation is with the drums (Berklee '75 jazz drummer here). I don't like their sound. And I feel like the overall drum part is too mechanical lacking drive and the kind of color from the cymbals that would really brighten up the whole song. The parts lack those subtle variations and slight fills that would make Pfun really jump and come alive.

As a starting point for your ears, listen to Joe Morello's drum set on Take 5.

On 2AM, I didn't like the electric piano sound. It's coloration is too close to your sax sound. I would look for a slightly brighter sound so that you have more counterpoint in coloration.

Compositionally, everything is A-OK. Overall, I just think the drums need a little more driving insistance.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Peter:

Thanks so much for your input, I REALLY appreciate it. The folks on this form are first rate and I learn so much from everyone here! Thanks also for taking the time to listen and comment!

FYI, I really enjoy your books and am looking forward to the 2nd orchestration text coming out. Any idea when

Peace

rikp

rikp,
    you are one fine person for not being offended at my poor choice of words.

I would love to hear this again after you make the changes that you are comfortable with.
    Thanks Rik,
    Dan

Dan:

I really respect your opinion! I have watched and listened to all of your posts and I am impressed by the quality of your work! I am hoping to make my mixes better and I want the truth; I want people to be hard on me. It is a tough world out there and any help that I can get to make me a better musician, etc is well appreciated. I am always open and honest with my students and I appreciate you doing the same for me! I really consider it an honor that you took the time to listen and comment, and that goes for the other folks on this forum as well!

I am hoping to post some remixes by the end of the week. Thanks again for your insightful input.

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    Peter:

Thanks so much for your input, I REALLY appreciate it. The folks on this form are first rate and I learn so much from everyone here! Thanks also for taking the time to listen and comment!

FYI, I really enjoy your books and am looking forward to the 2nd orchestration text coming out. Any idea when

Peace

rikp
    Rik, thanks so much! To answer you question:

How Ravel Orchestrated: Mother Goose Suite
    (http://www.truespec.com/ravel-orches...ite-p-410.html) is out in about 10 days. Volume 2A of Professional Orchestration (http://www.truespec.com/professional...ume-p-409.html) is out in late November.

Our banner ad for Ravel goes up on Northern Sounds Monday or Tuesday of this week.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Go Back to forum