• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What’s now for you the next big step to achieve in sampling technologies ?

Share/Bookmark

What’s now for you the next big step to achieve in sampling technologies ?

As users, what do you need most ?

Before your comments, let me expose quickly my idea. (And again, sorry for my poor English.)

Since few years we have now wonderful, marvelous libraries.

The weakest point, in my humble opinion, is productivity.

The tool to use them effectively doesn’t exist for me. Ergonomics is everything for a pro use.

My point is this : a lot of actual limitations is due to the fact that players and sequencers are separated softs.

And this separation is purely artificial.

Imagine a single soft :

First, no more routing (midi or audio), every thing is already set.
    No more track naming.
    The ability to ‘see ahead’ to trigger the right sample after recording (a kind of an ‘off-line speed detection’, much more efficient than a real-time can be).
    No more key switches.
    The ability to trigger any sample on any note very quickly by, for example, a contextual menu in the midi editor...
    A possible ‘real playback’ at the cursor (instead of the actual and unusable ‘chase note’).
    Etc...

It’s not a so big deal. It just have to be Rewire.

I also think that, even if I was a multiple DAWs fan before, I realized quickly that this approach is not productive at all for many reasons. For a pure sampling approach, for let’s say Symphonic music, a single DAW is conceivable if the whole library was permanently buffered on an actual Solid State Disk. One DAW in use, and no more loading time could be also a big productivity improvement. But it’s another story...

(As you can see, it’s a kind of ‘I had a dream’ topic... let you go...)

Regards.
    Gabriel Plalame.

(The French dyslexic who speaks badly English.)

Re: What’s now for you the next big step to achieve in sampling technologies ?

SSD's are very very expensive
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Hi Sean.

This one is the price of one or two good DAWs : http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/0704...rosHDIIproduct
    IRAM is even much more affordable I guess. ( http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...m/index.x?pg=1 )
    And others are coming. ( http://www.ddrdrive.com/ddrdrive_prototype.html )

If it replaces several DAWs, I’m not sure it’s a question of price.
    Gabriel Plalame.

They certainly are cheaper than last time I looked.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

64 bit operating systems and samplers would be nice for starters.

I would like to see instrument specific, but library unspecific midi interfaces. For example, seeing a guitar and selecting which notes to play on which strings instead of fiddling around with keyswitches, different midi tracks, etc. Or with drums you have all these specific notes for different ways of hitting the drums. Why not see a drum and just hit it? This will be a challenge because how can you put the timeline into that... I don't know.

Tom

I like the idea of more visual representation of specific instruments. I think you could intigrate that with a timeline. You could have a floating panel with a reproduction of a guitar or drum, etc, and where ever the cursor is in the time line, weather in playback or off line, you could hit that picture, or assign controllers to articulations. I really think that could speed things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal
    The weakest point, in my humble opinion, is productivity...
    ...Ergonomics is everything for a pro use.
    Sorry Gabriel, with all respect, I think completly different.

Try to convert your ideas to foto or video equipment.
    A consumer is someone who wants buttons like: daylight, nightshot, indoor, outdoor.
    A professional would never use this automatic features, because you get nice results up to a certain level.
    But to reach a higher level, you have to go into the details.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Hi Janila, Tom and Trace.

About 64bit, I think they probably all work on that already. As the 16 to 32bit jump, it won’t be an option but a necessity. I can’t imagine future upgrades won’t be 64bit.

About visual interfaces, I think there is nothing more productive than physical ones. I think it’s always faster to use a keyboard than a mouse, plus, It’s always ‘on top’ on your desk. Of course it can also appear at the same time on screen in a way or another, as you suggested.

Many video games develop their own controllers, why not big sample libraries ?

For example, about keyswiches : I have to say that I really don’t like them.

As a musician, I can’t spend my time to learn where are keyswitches on my piano keyboard for each libraries, if it’s not for each patches...

Plus, it’s a real mess for playback or editing.

It’s not productive at all.

And again, if developers had to use them, It’s only because it was a progress for separated players or samplers. But if there’s one soft, developers are not forced to deal with keys. They can develop there own midi controllers, with ‘one pad, one articulation serigraphy’ for the whole library, no matter which patch you use, so we don’t have to learn them anymore, and they don’t have to appear as notes, buried somewhere in the midi editor. The articulation data can be embedded in each midi notes : no more playback and editing troubles (copy/past etc...), and it even allows an easy patch changing...

That could be one of big advantages of a single soft to play and sequence.

Sorry Gabriel, but i think completly different.

Try to convert your ideas to foto or video equipment.
    A consumer is someone who wants buttons like: daylight, nightshot, indoor. outdoor,
    A professional would never use this automatic features, because you get nice results up to a certain level.
    But to reach a higher level, you have to go into the details.

Chris Hein
    Hi,Chis.

I see what you mean but I disagree with you. (I appreciate your edit though...) (Just teasing...)

A misunderstood maybe ? I never asked less possibilities. But more productivity for same possibilities, (or even more, If I look at closely my suggestions.)

There is two things :

The time to learn the tool.

The time to use the tool.

First, for me a good soft is a soft which doesn’t need to be learned, whatever you have to do. (But it’s another and complicated discussion...)

But my main concern is the second time. I don’t see the advantage to spend 10 hours on a project instead of 5 for the same result. On the other hand, it can make a big difference for the client...

(And I don’t see the advantage to spend 10 hours to learn to use a tool if we can spend half an hour for the same result... it’s all my point...)
    Gabriel Plalame.

I was thinking of this for my Daw

http://www.fairlightau.com/default_content.html

and a similar interface for my sampler, .5m/s latency, unlimited I/O and simple, upgradable, flexible and actually quite affordable...
    The Fairlight is thought to be priced about $7000 approx

Go Back to forum