• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Orchestration Challenge 9

Share/Bookmark

Orchestration Challenge 9

Leif (Cobalt) has written the theme for Challenge 9!

Here is the midi file: http://www.wizardwalk.com/Orchestrat...challenge9.mid

And here is the midi file with a click-track so that the rhythm can be heard: http://www.wizardwalk.com/Orchestrat...nge9-click.mid

The deadline to enter is November 12 (5 weeks and then rounded to Sunday)... please send entries to sean@wizardwalk.com

Many thanks to Leif!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Orchestration Challenge 9

Oohhh this melody is sadistically clever
    • tonal center, hmm
    • implied harmonic structure, hmm
    • ability to use enharmonic code book, hmm
    • 6/8 time implies a 6 measure phrase, hmm
    • asymetrical in nature, hmm
    I guess I have to study up on how to ignore my 3 favorite chords: I, IV and V - I suppose a V-I cadence at the end is out

Hmm

Looks like fun
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Well, I am about done with my challenge entry. Is anyone else thinking about this challenge, or are all you guys frantically getting your Christmas Songs and Halloween Entries ready? I'm just testing the waters to see what the competition is. (Is that correct English? Good thing I'm not English!)

Well I've doen some preliminary work on the challenge in between wood-shedding my Christmas track.

Whether that is competition enough for you or not I don't know!?!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Well I've doen some preliminary work on the challenge in between wood-shedding my Christmas track.

Whether that is competition enough for you or not I don't know!?!
    You bet, Richard, I like your stuff. I always lose, so I need to have the competition to keep me trying.

Ker-bump...

I've finally updated the challenge archive, going back to the old style:

http://www.wizardwalk.com/Orchestrat...nges/index.htm

The results for the last challenge are up, but of course the voting results are all messed up. I was only able to identify half of the contestants, so if you entered that challenge and want your name by your entry, just make a post here and I'll update the page accordingly.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Bump me up again and again, I love it

Anyways, I've sent my challenge to Sean. I'm not sure if "the game is still afoot...: though. There hasn't been much chatter here.

October was frightfully busy with Christmas pieces and Halloween contest entries being composed, and November will probably be pretty busy too with Thanksgiving coming up and the holiday season steadily approaching.

As there's officially only 1 day left, should we extend the deadline or shall wrayer win by default? (Seeing as how wrayer is the only contestant thus far, it should probably be up to him, eh? )

... or has interest in these challenges just suddenly crumbled?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Hmm, I would like to have an opportunity for anyone who would like to enter, to enter. Busy we all are, shall extend, please. Interest to be shown, must be demonstrated. No takers, or lack of interest is good, not. Must be one a challnge take. More than one is thing that is good, no?

Come on guys, this one is a tough challenge, come up to the plates swinging!

Go Back to forum