• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quicksound Database Problems

Share/Bookmark

Quicksound Database Problems

This has been plaguing me for a while...

A month or so ago, whenever I tried rebuilding the QS database, I would get two error messages:

"Couldn't Set NemeType Filter"

and

"Couldn't Set Drives to Monitor"

Up until now it hadn't been a problem, because these messages started popping up after I had the drives/folders selected the way that I wanted, so even if I couldn't change things the "rebuild" function seemed to include everything that I needed.

On my separate sample drive, I have one folder containing all of my .wav files in various subfolders, and one folder containing all of my .gig files in various subfolders. Up until now, both of those folders (and their respective subfolders) appeared in the QS directory tree window in the lower-left quadrant of my screen.

But things are different today.

After installing the upgrade to 3.20, trying various memory "tweak" settings before settling down to "Preset 4," and installing two updates to my SampleTekk TBO files (which involved using the Giga Editor to replace a total of 94 .wav files within six .gx0_ files), I launched Giga.

Of the two folders I had the QS database "include," using the Advanced options (one filled with .wav files, the other with .gig files), only the audio one was present in the directory tree window. When I tried to rebuild the QS database from within Giga, I got a "database is corrupted" message. I then BSoD'd as I tried to restart my computer.

I have deleted the "db" folder three times, per the "Rebuilding the Database" video on the learngigastudio site.

The first two times, when I subsequently launched Giga, I would get the "rebuild QS database" popup window. Although I could look inside the "Advanced" options to see that the audio- and gig-file folders are both selected, when I click "OK" through everything I get the above two error messages. Then, I click on the "rebuild the database" button...

...I can see the files being loaded into the database, and it is only a few of the .wav files. None of my .gig files are loaded, and the .gig folder does not appear in the directory tree once Giga finishes launching. When I try to rebuild the database, I get a "the database is corrupted -- you must rebuild it"-type message. Both times, I saw a new "db" folder in Windows Explorer, which I re-deleted...

The third time, Giga just froze at the initial "GS3" splashscreen, and I manually shut the computer down after about 10 minutes.

Any idea what's going on?
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Re: Quicksound Database Problems

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    This has been plaguing me for a while...

A month or so ago, whenever I tried rebuilding the QS database, I would get two error messages:

and

I've been getting those messages as well. Fortunately, the system still finds the gigs and everything plays fine. (I've downloaded 3.2 but haven't had time to install it yet...)

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    Any idea what's going on?
    Regarding your database crash? I have no idea. I haven't ever had this problem. I assume that you've turned file monitoring off. You might run the configuration app and double check that before launching the full app.

If that doesn't work, I'd call Montebello. If 3.2 has a bug at that level, they need to know ASAP. Hopefully, they have an easy fix for you.

Best of luck!

In fact, "monitor file activity' was checked, but that hadn't caused me any additional problems, as far as I can tell...

I unchecked it, and it didn't make a difference...

Very bizarre... as I mentioned, all of my files are contained within two main folders, one with .wav files, and one with .gig files. Although the QS was supposed to scan both folders, it never got past the (alphabetically) first folder, which contained the .wav files.

So I changed the "Advanced" settings by removing the audio folder, and just leaving the .gig folder.

Although I got the same

and

error messages, it did change the settings to only scan the .gig folder and its subfolders...

...which it did twice -- it scanned about 11,000 .gig files and then the window closed... and then the initial "rebuild database" window popped up again... it
    scanned about 11,000 .gig files again and then closed...

...but the directory tree window in Giga still showed the audio files folder only, and I got another error message saying that the database was corrupted and needed to be rebuilt.

Heh?
    — alanb

The saga continues (questions regarding my new and curious memory problems, hinted at below, will be my next exciting thread):

Try running the diagnostic report and see if it finds any "old binaries." If it does, you should run GigaClean and reinstall GigaStudio.
    Thanks for the advice.

I ran the diagnostic... it did find some "Old Giga Binaries." Thing is, these were mostly instances of mfc42.dll and msvcrt.dll that were installed on different internal and external drives by completely unrelated programs.

My Giga disc (wihch is bootable) has only Giga and Cubase on it, but I can view the other drives (including my sample drive and my other bootable drive which has everything other than Giga) through Windows Explorer. These files were all in the same place throughout the last few months, where Giga worked (more or less) without incident, so I don't think they're the cause of my immediate problems.

--------------------------------

Some of those apps can't be removed, but I did offload others. I also did some random poking around in Giga Configuration Manager, and I now got the QS database to build itself, scanning only the .gig file folder and its subfolders.

Of course, there is no way to tell which of the things that I did got me to this point, but I'm not complaining...

But I still have a major major MAJOR problem...

I can no longer load either of my SampleTekk pianos.

I was able to do so under v3.12, but not until after I had played around with random sets of numbers using Mattias' memory optimization app. Under all of the Giga "Presets," I would always get multiple "unknown system errors" as I tried to load any of the TBO .gsi files.

Now, under v3.20 -- even though Presets 3 and 4 yield a higher value for "Tested Memory Available for Instrument Loading" than I was able to get using the custom values that enabled me to load TBO under v3.12 -- I get multiple errors (and, if I keep trying to load the .gsi file, crashes) whenever I try to load TBO now...

I will describe my TBO/memory issues in another thread that I'll create tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have three questions for you (and everyone else):

1 -- Do you have any idea why my memory values and loading capabilities are so different under v3.20?;

2 -- Do you have any idea how I can now have a higher value for "tested" memory yet less ability to load large .gsi files that I used to be able to load with a lower value for "tested" memory?; and

3 -- you mention using Gigaclean... According to the GigaStudio Change History document, the regular uninstaller's "new functionality replaces GigaClean" as of v3.10. Are you sure that (if I have to go that route) Gigaclean, and not just a plain-old uninstall is necessary?

And, if so, where will I find Gigaclean? Is it on the original installation DVDs somewhere?

Thanks!!
    — alanb

Hi Alan,

regarding the GigaClean utility.
    You can find it on the Gs3 application DVD under the folder " utils".

I hope that helps you a little bit.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Go Back to forum