• Register
  • Help

Topic: Interesting Dept: The First Robotic Musician

Share/Bookmark

Interesting Dept: The First Robotic Musician

CNN Reports:
    ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A professor of musical technology at Georgia Tech, Gil Weinberg, enlisted the support of graduate student Scott Driscoll to create Haile -- the first truly robotic musician. In this way, he became a sort of Geppetto creating his musical Pinocchio.

"Computers have been playing music for 50 years," Driscoll said. "But we wanted to create something that didn't just play back what it heard, but play off it, too."

Think of Haile (pronounced Hi-lee) as a robotic partner in the percussion form of dueling banjos. Although it has numerous musical algorithms programmed into it, Haile's basic function is to "listen" to what musicians are playing and play along with them. (Watch as Haile keeps the beat -- 5:11)

If the musicians change the beat or rhythm, Haile is right there with them."
    Watch out Styxx! You have competition!

Re: Interesting Dept: The First Robotic Musician

Now this is cool. By reading up on this, I discovered that Georgia Tech [one of the best engineering universities in the United States, and in my home town of Atlanta] is starting a masters degree program in music technology. The emphasis will be on computer programming and audio engineering research. They've never done anything like this before.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this program, and try to attend some of their (infrequent) concerts and performances.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    CNN Reports:
    ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A professor of musical technology at Georgia Tech, Gil Weinberg, enlisted the support of graduate student Scott Driscoll to create Haile -- the first truly robotic musician. In this way, he became a sort of Geppetto creating his musical Pinocchio.

"Computers have been playing music for 50 years," Driscoll said. "But we wanted to create something that didn't just play back what it heard, but play off it, too."

Think of Haile (pronounced Hi-lee) as a robotic partner in the percussion form of dueling banjos. Although it has numerous musical algorithms programmed into it, Haile's basic function is to "listen" to what musicians are playing and play along with them. (Watch as Haile keeps the beat -- 5:11)

If the musicians change the beat or rhythm, Haile is right there with them."
    Watch out Styxx! You have competition!

As long as it can carry to and from the gig, I'm all for it!
    Styxx

I saw a video a few years back about a robot that played the flute. It wasn't hueristic like this on though. It was driven by midi. The creators of this thing built a torso with lungs, an operating diaphragm, mouth, head, and lips, as well as arms, hands, and fingers and had all of this was run from midi files.

The final result was the professor playing cello and the robot playing a real silver flute. It sounded great but the anthroprmorphic aspecs of the robot left you with a very unsettling feeling. Not like when you use a sound library and a computer to "fake" a performance. This was on the "threatening" side of things.

I mean that thing played a real accoustic flute!
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Here is a link to an updated video. They have made the robot "prettier" since I saw it last. Back then there was nothing in it's face above the mouth except some mechanical bits. Sort of like C3PO without eyes.

Pretty wild stuff though

http://www.takanishi.mech.waseda.ac..../Bumblebee.mpg
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McCallister
    Here is a link to an updated video. They have made the robot "prettier" since I saw it last. Back then there was nothing in it's face above the mouth except some mechanical bits. Sort of like C3PO without eyes.

Pretty wild stuff though

http://www.takanishi.mech.waseda.ac..../Bumblebee.mpg
    Thanks for the link. I had never heard of this before... mechanically much more impressive than the drummer... That is too cool!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I'm going to see this robotic percussionist in concert tonight at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. They are performing as part of a new music concert which you can read about here:

http://www.sonicgenerator.gatech.edu...4_2006_at.html
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

holy smokes! Seems like there's a lot of robotic musicians these days.

I think the "drummer" is the only one "thinking" on its own... the others are just skilled replicas playing a preprogrammed tune.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Read more about the Music Technology Group at Georgia Tech at:

http://music.gatech.edu/mtg/

There's some really interesting stuff going on here.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Go Back to forum