• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: History Corrected: One Small Step for a man...

Share/Bookmark

History Corrected: One Small Step for a man...

Sound Editing software may have corrected one of the most famous quotes in history...

The Timesonline reports:
    “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,”

Mr Armstrong has long insisted that he meant to say “one small step for a man . . .” — which would have been a more meaningful and grammatically correct version, free of tautology. But even the astronaut himself could not be sure. “Damn, I really did it. I blew the first words on the Moon, didn’t I?” he is reported to have asked officials later, amid uncertainty as to whether he had blown the moment or simply been drowned out by static interference as his words were relayed 250,000 miles back to Earth.

Now, after almost four decades, the spaceman has been vindicated. Using high-tech sound analysis techniques, an Australian computer expert has rediscovered the missing “a” in Mr Armstrong’s famous quote. Peter Shann Ford ran the Nasa recording through sound-editing software and clearly picked up an acoustic wave from the word “a”, finding that Mr Armstrong spoke it at a rate of 35 milliseconds — ten times too fast for it to be audible.
    I wonder what out-of-this-world sound editing software was used? Perhaps Soundforge, or Wavelab? Or maybe it was Bias Peak or Sequoia?
    Perhaps there are other famous quotes that may be be corrected.

Re: History Corrected: One Small Step for a man...

Hehe...

Interesting... Indeed interesting... (Can't find anything else to post, so I officially declare my post useless. )

This is the most absurd thing ever... this man lands on the moon, and amazing achievement, he is the first to step there... And all a lot of people with too much time on their hands can fixate upon is whether he said "one small step for man, or one small step for a man"... The guy is WALKING ON THE MOON!! and people are worried about grammar and semantics????? Some people really need to get a job... :P I'm not directing this at the people on this forum, I'm talking about the people that created this furor in the first place and seem to be criticizing Armstrong all these years...

Damnit Neil! We said left foot first! LEFT FOOT! GAH! It's all ruined!!

Yeah, that's pretty silly to be concerned about whether there was an "a" in there or not.

Unfortunatly the awe of this momment does not resonate as much with my generation.... dudes....
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

The second man on the moon, Buzz Aldrin, said, "It may have been a small step for Neil, but it sure was a big one for me." (I'm quoting from memory, so that may not be exact.)

Now that just enhances the quality of my life so much I feel as if I can fly! Really, after all this time ...
    Wait, didn't I say that when I got out of bed this morning? "Dats one small step for da man ... OOoooo That floor is COLD!
    Styxx

What's the true moral of this story? You can have bad grammar, but if you want to navigate home from the moon, you're math better be spot-on.

35ms of a soft "a" sound? Doubtful - don't care what app they used. Besides, it would destroy the poetic symmetry of the line.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

[singing:] I'm a rocket maaaaan!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    [singing:] I'm a rocket maaaaan!
    ground control to major tom....

(hey, what's the emoticon for musical notes/singing?)

"Mr. Watson, stay away. I hate you."

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum