• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hi and "newbie" question

Share/Bookmark

Hi and "newbie" question

Hello all! Brand new to the forum and I've been using GS3 Ensemble for about a month. I've been having a problem and I have searched the forum for an answer, but haven't found the same problem.

I am running GS3 in REWIRE mode with Sonar 4 as the host. I have GS3 loaded on its own HD, EIDE 7200rpm, 80G, 8ms, 2M via USB (is USB bad?). I four MIDI tracks pointing to GS3.

I have several places where a MIDI note simply does not play when I hit play on the transport. It's always the same notes when they decide not to play. Occassionally they will play, but most of the time they won't. If I delete the now and recreate it, then it will play the first or second time I play the tracks, but then after that it stops playing again.

These notes do not have overlap from the same pitch before or after them.
    There are no controllers on them at this point.
    Volume is set to 90 in Sonar.
    I have no plugins running on the tracks.

I have not yet tried to mix down the sequence to an audio track or file to see if it continues to happen there or if it's only a run time problem, I plan to try that tonight when I get home.

Anyone seen a problem like this? Or have any suggestions for me?

Re: Hi and "newbie" question

No one has ever seen this problem or have any suggestions?
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MKIII
    Sonar 8.5PE

I think it is time to update to Sonar 6.
    Only few will use Sonar 4, so you cannot expect much help.
    I am using Sonar 5 with GS3 in Rewire Mode & Kontakt 2 as plugin. Works fine.
    I am waiting for Sonar 6. It will arrive within the next few days.

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

beagle..I think you need to add another gig of ram..or more....read on sonar..it may not support bounce in rewire mode,,pops and freezes indicate your system is stressed...update all your drivers..especially the video and sound cards..update windows..update bios..update all other software..are you using the correct instruments in sonar..giga studio uses 0-127 generic or similar

Quote Originally Posted by andyj
    beagle..I think you need to add another gig of ram..or more....read on sonar..it may not support bounce in rewire mode,,pops and freezes indicate your system is stressed...update all your drivers..especially the video and sound cards..update windows..update bios..update all other software..are you using the correct instruments in sonar..giga studio uses 0-127 generic or similar
    andy - thank you for your reply
    Sonar does support bounce in REWIRE mode from version Sonar 2.2 and above - according to their website. There are specific tutorials on how to bounce to tracks using Reason in REWIRE mode, and there's no reason to believe you could bounce from REASON, but not GS3.

pops and freezes are not what I'm experiencing. There's no indication that the processor or memory is stressed in any way. The CPU meters on Sonar and GS3 both indicate no more than 30-35% usage and the RAM indicator on GS3 is only at 9%! >1GB of RAM should be plenty for both applications - especially since my GS3 "memory test" shows I can achieve 92% of available memory for loading instruments. besides that, Sonar and GS3 are not "largeaddressaware". Anything over 2G of memory is a waste for those applications because they're not programmed to use it.

the problem is not popping or freezing - the problem is that a few SPECIFIC notes programmed into the MIDI data won't play. Everything else plays fine - with no static, no "latency" type problems. It just SKIPS those notes! EVERYTIME! the same notes!

all drivers, windows, bios, all are up to date. I keep windows updated, the video card is new and I always update the driver whenever I install anything new, the sound card drivers are up to date - bios is up to date. sonar and GS are at the latest patch levels. shouldn't be anything lacking about updates.

Yes, I am using the correct instrument settings in sonar. after loading the instrument into GS3, I look at the "instrument settings panel" (forgot what it's called) and it tells me which channel and instrument setting that instrument is set to and I set the MIDI source track in sonar to the correct instrument.

Thanks again for your reply, but so far, none of this has been helpful and I'm at a loss right now. If I can't figure something out I'll need to call Tascam and see what they say.
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    Sonar 8.5PE

Quote Originally Posted by jovan
    I think it is time to update to Sonar 6.
    Only few will use Sonar 4, so you cannot expect much help.
    I am using Sonar 5 with GS3 in Rewire Mode & Kontakt 2 as plugin. Works fine.
    I am waiting for Sonar 6. It will arrive within the next few days.

Hi, Jovan. Yes, I agree it would be really nice to upgrade, but that's just not possible right now because of budget. But honestly, I have a hard time believing that would solve my problem anyway. Besides, Gigastudio 3 and Sonar 4 were both released in 2004, right?
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    Sonar 8.5PE

That's true. Both were released in 2004.
    But I have never tried GS3 with Sonar 4 in Rewire mode.
    I did it with Sonar 5 without any problems.

I'm not sure if your problem is a GS3 proplem.
    I had lots of crashes with Sonar 4 & 5 also using Kontakt 2 as VST or DXI plugin or with Sonar 4 & 4 only working with audio files.

So I hope the crash recovering ( which is part of Sonar 6) will work!

Quote Originally Posted by jovan
    That's true. Both were released in 2004.
    But I have never tried GS3 with Sonar 4 in Rewire mode.
    I did it with Sonar 5 without any problems.

I'm not sure if your problem is a GS3 proplem.
    I had lots of crashes with Sonar 4 & 5 also using Kontakt 2 as VST or DXI plugin or with Sonar 4 & 4 only working with audio files.

So I hope the crash recovering ( which is part of Sonar 6) will work!

Thanks, Jovan! I got it to work, however. I'm not sure this is how it should work, but it works. I had tried increasing the latency buffers before, but only to about 25msec and that didn't work. I thought surely 25msec would be plenty (I typically run around that setting for mixing/editing, but have it down to 4.8msec for recording from the keyboard). I had also increased the MIDI BUFFER setting in Sonar to 5000! but that didn't fix it.

but then I tried running it up to 50msec and it started working correctly! 50msec is the max my sound card will do in ASIO mode (Delta 44). At that point I was willing to try running in WDM mode and running the latency buffers up even higher to try to get this monkey off my back!

thanks for everyone's suggestions!
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    Sonar 8.5PE

Hi Beagle, you arte wellcome,

Go Back to forum