• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga 3.2 and the "memory tweak"

Share/Bookmark

Giga 3.2 and the "memory tweak"

I just installed the 3.2 upgrade.

Interestingly enough, when I subsequently ran the memory test from the troubleshooting section of the Giga Configuration Manager, my available memory was inexplicably lower than it had been prior to the upgrade...

I had tried various combinations of numbers using Mattias' "GigaStudio Memory Load Optimizer," since I could not get either of my SampleTekk pianos to load, using any of Giga's own presets, without crashing Giga and/or my computer, despite having 2GB of installed memory. Only after selecting my own numbers could I load TBO or 7CG.

For whatever reason, my available memory dropped by about 100 MB after installing the version 3.2 patch. So, I decided to try Giga's 'standard' presets again, just to see whether they would work better now than they had in the past.

Much to my surprise, "Preset 3" and "Preset 4" now afford me 1,013 Mb (66%) -- which, based upon what I've read at the NSS and VSL forums, is just about as good as I can hope to get.

So, if you aren't happy with your current available memory, it might be worth giving it -- and Giga's 4 'standard' presets -- and whatever other values you have tried using Mattias' app -- another look after you do the upgrade...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Re: Giga 3.2 and the "memory tweak"

When I try to alter the memory configuration to any of the presets(#1-4) I get a system error when trying to load any library, and GS3 crashes. I can only use the system original configuration. This happens in 3.12 and 3.2 . I have no other programs running on the machine and have done a fresh XP install with all the recommended tweaks
    I am using a core 2 system (E6600), and did not experience this on my old P4 3.2Ghz
    As I have mentioned in a previous post I have wriiten to Tascam on several occasions.....with no reply :-(

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    I just installed the 3.2 upgrade.

Interestingly enough, when I subsequently ran the memory test from the troubleshooting section of the Giga Configuration Manager, my available memory was inexplicably lower than it had been prior to the upgrade...

I had tried various combinations of numbers using Mattias' "GigaStudio Memory Load Optimizer," since I could not get either of my SampleTekk pianos to load, using any of Giga's own presets, without crashing Giga and/or my computer, despite having 2GB of installed memory. Only after selecting my own numbers could I load TBO or 7CG.

For whatever reason, my available memory dropped by about 100 MB after installing the version 3.2 patch. So, I decided to try Giga's 'standard' presets again, just to see whether they would work better now than they had in the past.

Much to my surprise, "Preset 3" and "Preset 4" now afford me 1,013 Mb (66%) -- which, based upon what I've read at the NSS and VSL forums, is just about as good as I can hope to get.

So, if you aren't happy with your current available memory, it might be worth giving it -- and Giga's 4 'standard' presets -- and whatever other values you have tried using Mattias' app -- another look after you do the upgrade...
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by the 4 "standard" presets?
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MKIII
    Sonar 8.5PE

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by the 4 "standard" presets?
    Launch the Giga Configuration Manager (do this without launching Giga itself).

Click on the "TroubleShoot" tab.

You should see a memory test button which, if you click it, will let you know (more or less) how much of your RAM will actually be "tested" and usable for loading and streaming samples.

Underneath that button you should see a pull-down menu, which offers four 'standard' preset memory configurations.

You should try each of the four to see which Preset gives you the most available memory. I think that Preset 1 is the "default" setting. Run the memory test. Make a note of how much "tested" available memory you have (it will be expressed both as a number of megabytes and as a percentage of total memory).

Then select Preset 2, and reboot your computer. Relaunch the Giga Configuration Manager (again without launching Giga itself), and click on the "TroubleShoot" tab. Run the memory test again, and see whether your megabytes and percentage values have gone up or down, or stayed the same.

Then select Preset 3, and reboot your computer. Relaunch the Giga Configuration Manager (again without launching Giga itself), and click on the "TroubleShoot" tab. Run the memory test again, and see whether your megabytes and percentage values have gone up or down, or stayed the same.

Then select Preset 4, and reboot your computer. Relaunch the Giga Configuration Manager (again without launching Giga itself), and click on the "TroubleShoot" tab. Run the memory test again, and see whether your megabytes and percentage values have gone up or down, or stayed the same.

You'll want to stay with the setting that gives you the largest number for your available "tested" memory.

There is an application available (search through the archives for Mattias, the name of the person who programmed it) that allows you to select your own custom values for four "hidden" Windows parameters. In some cases, hand-tweaking these values can give you a higher anmount of useful memory by changing the way Windows interacts with Giga.

TASCAM, obviously, recommends sticking with one of the four 'standard' presets. If you have enough memory to successfully load all of the instruments that you want to load, then you might as well stick with one of the four 'standard' presets.
    — alanb

Quote Originally Posted by mal7
    When I try to alter the memory configuration to any of the presets(#1-4) I get a system error when trying to load any library, and GS3 crashes. I can only use the system original configuration. This happens in 3.12 and 3.2 . I have no other programs running on the machine and have done a fresh XP install with all the recommended tweaks
    I am using a core 2 system (E6600), and did not experience this on my old P4 3.2Ghz
    Core2 -- that's the brand new Intel chip? I wonder whether the technology is sufficiently different from the "old" dual core chipsets to make a difference. I took a quick look at VisionDAW's website and noticed that their Giga machine in based on a Pentium D, although they do offer "Core 2" machines, presumably for other applications. That may or may not be a problem...

I can only think of the usual possible suspects -- have you checked to make sure that your sound card isn't sharing an IRQ with anything else?

Have you disabled "Monitor File activity"?

Have you tried deleting/rebuilding the Quicksound Database (per http://www.learngigastudio.com/index...=158&Itemid=48 )?

You mentioned problemns trying to select one of the 'standard' presets... are you able to custom-select values using Mattias' application?

I'll post other (lame) ideas as they pop up...
    — alanb

thanks, Alan! I knew about the memory test, but I must have missed the pull down menu for the presets. I'll check that tonight.
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MKIII
    Sonar 8.5PE

Thanks Alan. Looks like I'll need to re-investigate Mattias' memory page. I installed the update and got only 895 megs. The same with all 4 presets. I'm running 2.5. Isn't that the one that describes the hidden parameters that steal memory in windows? And, the way to 'fool' windows into thinking there's more than there actually is? Just questions.

Hi Alan....yes the core 2 is the new dual core Intel CPU range.
    I have done all you suggested including rebuilding the Quicksound data base....all to no avail . The maximum I can get in the memory configuration manager is 438mb out of 2gigs (using system original preset) Any of the others presets (#1-4) will give me a system error and crashes GS3.
    I am now putting all my faith in GVI as a plug in to Sonar, and GS3 will be admonished to the recyle bin.
    What really annoys me is that after being a loyal paying customer for so long, Tascam does not even bother to reply to emails. This I find unacceptable :-(

thanks for your suggestions anyway

regards
    mal

Some other thoughts (all involving poking around in the Giga Configuration Manager):

--------------------------

Under the Rewire/Plugins tab:

Are the paths listed under "Software Plugins" and "VST Search Paths" correct?

If the "Automatically block unsupported plugins" box is unchecked, have you tried checking it?

Under the GigaPulse/Convolution tab:

Are all of the paths correct?

Do all of the paths listed have check marks in their respective boxes?

Under the Troubleshoot tab:

Have you tried unchecking any/all of the three boxes listed under "Startup Options"?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
    — alanb

Hi Alan
    Checked and tried all your suggestions....still the same problem under the config. manager.
    I have resigned myself to using GVI/Sonar in the future

thanks anyway
    Mal

Go Back to forum