• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recomendation of a double bass that's works with EWQLSO?

Share/Bookmark

Recomendation of a double bass that's works with EWQLSO?

hi,

i love the ewql gold library except for the d-bass which, in Sonar, sounds gritty on the lower notes (sounds like the read is distorting). i've searched but don't know of one that works well with ewql (mp3 demo's just don't help regarding single instruments which have no dynamic's going on).
    K Hunter, VSL, Sonic Implants, etc? please advise if you know of a HQ d-bass.
    thanx a million guys!

Tim
    WordSong Entertainment
    Hear Bible text sung verse by verse, chapter by chapter,
    all with accompanying instruments in cinematic style.
    www.wordsong.info

Re: Recomendation of a double bass that's works with EWQLSO?

The lib that is closest to EWQLSO is in my opinion Sonic Implants.
    KH is much more dry sounding, has much more low end, VSl is to tiny sounding, and quite harsh compared to EW. But sonic implants sits rather nicely toghether with EW .

But all major libs will work fine, if you hit the eq and reverb settings.

Hm, have you considered layering VSL with EWQL for the basses? On a recent action film score, I needed especially aggressive strings - for cellos/basses, I combined VSL and EWQL staccatos, added a little highmids boost to the EWQL patches so they'd be brighter, and some stereo narrowing to VSL's. The result was a situation where the strings had VSL's precision and body, as well as EWQL's aggression and fullness.

I think as a general statement I can say that VSL strings are phenomenal in their adaptability and timbre, if you're not afraid to get under the hood a little. Unfortunately most demos you hear probably won't reflect this, they tend to stick to the straight-out-of-the-box sound. My recommendation would be to get opus-1 (where samples are editable in K2, unlike the VI series...) and use it alongside EWQL. They actually play very nicely together despite what their respective demos might seem to imply (eg. "VSL is close-mic'd and lacks ambience", "EWQL is wet and lacks precision"). I use them both together with the same reverb, same bus and everything.

Opposites mean more versatility
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Artdude
    hi,

i love the ewql gold library except for the d-bass which, in Sonar, sounds gritty on the lower notes (sounds like the read is distorting). i've searched but don't know of one that works well with ewql (mp3 demo's just don't help regarding single instruments which have no dynamic's going on).
    K Hunter, VSL, Sonic Implants, etc? please advise if you know of a HQ d-bass.
    thanx a million guys!

Tim
    What do you mean, "the read"? Well anyway, I don't like their bass sound either, I like Kirk Hunters Emerald basses better.

Dude of art -

If you open the group editor and mapping editor in EW Gold, do you have seperate groups for the "on" notes and release trails (aka "RT")? I have Platinum, which is why I need to ask this; I am not sure if Gold has separate ons and RT's. If not, I can't help you anymore than did the gents up there^. If so, I have a good suggestion.

Cheers.

The thing is:

The EW basses respond pretty much like a REAL DOUBLE BASS SECTION. Sorry, but in an actual orchestration, you can't always rely on the basses alone to lay it down... They sound pretty much right on to me (I don't know what you mean by the "read" either)

If you are wanting more "edge" or "clarity" try a doubling (bassoon, contra or tuba), or (if you must) a compressor.

ds
    Damon Sink
    G5 Dual 2 GHz, P4 3.8GHz, Logic Pro 7, Digital Performer, EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP, VSL, Kontakt2, Finale

just the posts i needed to hear. thanx guys. i'll try out those suggestions/recommendations.

QUOTE:
    "If you are wanting more "edge" or "clarity" try a doubling (bassoon, contra or tuba)"

yeah, that's what i've been doing to compensate.
    i meant to say the way the bow rubs against the cat gut but it might very well be the way Sonar reads the kontakt player in the piano roll, i don't know. Sonar's been known to read stuff inaccurately due to it's shoddy vst integration.

RiffWraith, thanx anyway, but gold doesn't have it. i wish i owned platinum (maybe one day).

Will, interesting idea. i'll have to try that out. i eventually wanted to get either the Opus or the VI player, but maybe i should stick to Opus due to the tweakability aspect.
    "Opposites mean more versatility" ..opposites also attract

Thanx again for the help guys!

Tim
    WordSong Entertainment
    Hear Bible text sung verse by verse, chapter by chapter,
    all with accompanying instruments in cinematic style.
    www.wordsong.info

I have EW Gold and KH Emerald and the bass from Emerald works well with
    both.

Go Back to forum