• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problems with Volume/cc7

Share/Bookmark

Problems with Volume/cc7

I would like to be able to control the volume of samples (while playing) via cc7 instead of cc1.

(Why? I'm using a WX5 breath controller. It gives me a choice of cc1 or cc7 for breath pressure output, but there's a problem with cc1. As pressure goes down to zero, cc1 also goes down to zero but GPO goes down to ppp and then cuts off abruptly. Consequently the end of notes sounds all wrong, especially when playing quietly. So I switch to cc7, which is supposed to control the volume output from GPO down to zero.)

My problem is that cc7 seems to have no effect on GPO's output at all.

I have told GPO to accept cc7 input in the Options dialog, and as I play I can see the volume knob on GPO going up and down, so I know the signals are getting to it. However my ears and the level meters on the mixer tell me that GPO is simply not paying any attention to this input -- the volume is not changing at all.

Is this a bug or am I missing something/doing something silly?
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Re: Problems with Volume/cc7

You can turn on CC7/CC10 controllers under the options menu. GPO isn't really designed to be used with CC7 as CC1 controls more than just volume. CC1 also changes the timbre with volume for a more realism. You can change the program of CC1 behavior in the full version of Kontakt to go all the way to no volume.

Jim

I have turned on cc7/cc10 under the options menu, and relaunched. GPO is definitely receiving the input because its volume knob moves as I play. But still no dice on the output side.

I am aware that the response to cc1 is preferable in many ways, but the sharp cutoff at the end of notes is unacceptable for a breath controller. I was intending to set up some kind of subtle use of both cc1 and cc7, but I've got to get cc7 working at all first.

I don't have the full version of Kontakt and at present am somewhat loath to buy it. Not so much the money (though that counts!) as that there is a post elsewhere in this forum which says that use of Kontakt 2 may cause other problems, not least (if I remember right) the fact that an instrument which has been edited in it is no longer usable in the Player.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ward
    I have turned on cc7/cc10 under the options menu, and relaunched. GPO is definitely receiving the input because its volume knob moves as I play. But still no dice on the output side.
    Does it move for the right instrument? Each instrument in the rack has its own knob.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ward
    not least (if I remember right) the fact that an instrument which has been edited in it is no longer usable in the Player.
    That's correct, but if you save the edited instrument under a new name, you can still use the original instrument in the Player. And with Kontakt 2 you have all the tools to do what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Does it move for the right instrument? Each instrument in the rack has its own knob.
    Yes.

OK, I'll think more positively about Kontakt 2. However what I'm trying to do ought to work in the Player, so using the full sampler is only sidestepping the problem, not solving it.

Thanks for your thoughts Nickie.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Martin,

I would suggest giving the X-Custom instruments a try. You can set the custom slider to 100% if you want the dynamic range down to go down to silence for cc#1. Be aware that many of the instruments need the slider set to -100% or you will get inverted dynamic response. The controller for the slider must be chosen from the dropdown list to the left of the slider. Choose cc#1. Anyway, you can download the optional X-Custom folder here: http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html Put them in the Instruments folder of the GPO installation and they will show up in the Load button.

Tom

That's it! Thank you Tom, you've solved my problem.

Here's what I did, in case anyone else is trying out a WX5...

1 Download the X-custom instruments and install in the GPO Library Instruments folder. Relaunch (so that GPO notices that it's got the new instruments).
    2 The WX5 can be set to provide c2, cc7 or cc11 but not cc1, so I overcome that as follows. I use cc2 (the factory setting on the WX5 and the appropriate one anyway, I think). I have my sequencer running all the time with GPO as a plug in, so I convert the incoming cc2 signal to cc1 in the sequencer. (I use DP5 which has a nifty midi plugin which does this with no trouble).
    3 Load the appropriate X-custom instrument into GPO in the usual way. With that instrument selected, set the slider to cc1 in the pull-down menu and to either 100% or -100% on the sider itself. (Try the instrument out and see. I've only tried Flute V so far, and it requires -100%.)
    4 Set the volume control on GPO so that you get a good range blowing hard and soft.
    5 It is possible that you might need to fiddle with the screwdriver adjustments ("wind gain" and "wind zero") on the WX5 itself. I had wind zero set wrongly for a while, and the instrument behaved in some very mysterious ways!
    6 Have fun.

Oh yes. I use the foot pedal attached to my keyboard at the same time to do legato. There may be some way of doing slurred/non-slurred on the WX5 itself, but the pedal seems the most convenient way.

Incidentally, I bought the WX5 a few years ago, but had more or less given up on it because I never found a satisfactory sound with the various synths I had tried. Having just acquired GPO, I decided to give it another go, and it's beautiful!
    GPO + WX5 = bliss.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Oops, that last post was a bit premature.

The hook-up I suggested there does indeed work, but it can be simplified a bit (as a bit more experimentation and a more careful read of the manual accompanying the X-custon instruments showed).

The pull-down menu beside the GPO slider chooses which controller to accept, and this is automatically converted by GPO itself to what cc1(MW) usually does. So there's no need to convert cc2 to cc1 externally as I suggested.

For simplified recipe, delete my Step 2 entirely. In step 3, set the slider to cc2 instead. Works fine.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Go Back to forum