• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Trill debate (if there is one)

Share/Bookmark

The Trill debate (if there is one)

If it isn't a huge deal, I think that having sampled Trills comes in handy. I know I just need to practice more...

BUT

Is it possible to control the Trill speed and intensity just like you can with the Vibrato? It's hard for me to imagine being able to manually play a trill on a keyboard with the Finesse of a great string player.

Has anyone really done it? Same goes for Tremolo. Gotta practice more....

Oh yeah...the other benefit of the OPTION of 'canned' Trems/Trills is that the notation will be easier to deal with.

jmp

Re: The Trill debate (if there is one)

Having control over many of these things is already possible in GOS, but new Garritan libraries are on the horizon. I'm pretty sure you can count on having the control of most of these articulations that you mention.

Dan

Re: The Trill debate (if there is one)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkpainter
    If it isn't a huge deal, I think that having sampled Trills comes in handy. I know I just need to practice more...

BUT

Is it possible to control the Trill speed and intensity just like you can with the Vibrato? It's hard for me to imagine being able to manually play a trill on a keyboard with the Finesse of a great string player.

Has anyone really done it? Same goes for Tremolo. Gotta practice more....

Oh yeah...the other benefit of the OPTION of 'canned' Trems/Trills is that the notation will be easier to deal with.

jmp
    John,

Trills can be done a couple of ways. The traditional way is just to sample them and play them back. The benefit is that you can work easily with notation programs with canned trills. The downside of this is that you cannot vary the speed nor the interval of the trill. You are usually stuck with half or whole trills played at one speed. This leaves you out of luck of they need to do a minor third trill or change to wider intervals midstream.

The Stradivari and Gofriller take a different approach - you just play the trills in - just like you do with vibrato. You vary the speed and intensity as you want. You vary the intervals as you want. Playback with notation is more difficult but we are working with notation companies to improve this.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum