• Register
  • Help

Topic: the importance of expressive Sample intruments

Share/Bookmark

Smile the importance of expressive Sample intruments

I've just had my first experience playing Gofriller cello......YIKES!

(For the record....the main cellist I hire has a Gofriller and I have recorded it a few hundred times)

Thanks for breaking the barrier. This is the first time I have played a sample instrument where I felt a connection to the real instrument.

All too often, composers and arrangers allow their sound libraries to dictate their writing. My writing tends to be very lyrical line-based....not so much chordal padding....which of course sounds bad when played on samples.

I tend to sing parts when brainstorming rather than play them so I can imagine the phrasing. For me, this won't replace my live players (ok...SOMETIMES it might) but it really helps my workflow.

I am Really looking forward to the other solo string instruments......

Jmp

Re: the importance of expressive Sample intruments

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkpainter
    I've just had my first experience playing Gofriller cello......YIKES!

(For the record....the main cellist I hire has a Gofriller and I have recorded it a few hundred times)

Thanks for breaking the barrier. This is the first time I have played a sample instrument where I felt a connection to the real instrument.

All too often, composers and arrangers allow their sound libraries to dictate their writing. My writing tends to be very lyrical line-based....not so much chordal padding....which of course sounds bad when played on samples.

I tend to sing parts when brainstorming rather than play them so I can imagine the phrasing. For me, this won't replace my live players (ok...SOMETIMES it might) but it really helps my workflow.

I am Really looking forward to the other solo string instruments......

Jmp
    So, rub it in why don'tcha! Nice, isn't it?
    Styxx

So, rub it in why don'tcha! Nice, isn't it?
    Yeah, just keep rubbing it in. I have a Violin/Cello Duet w/ orchestra I'm just dying to record and can't wait for the Stradivari 2.0 and Gofriller Cello.

Glad to hear you like it Jmp. Helps build excitement for the release.
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkpainter
    For the record....the main cellist I hire has a Gofriller and I have recorded it a few hundred times

Jmp
    So you've worked with recording an actual Gofriller cello, and now you are working with the Garritan-software-instrument Gofriller. I wonder what kind of reaction you're going to get from the cellist you hire when you play her your Garritan mockups...
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Wheat,

Normally it isn't an issue as my temps don't generally sound very good. This will be a bit close for comfort.

Thing is...this guy is SO good that I think he can handle the pressure of living up to the samples.

BUT for mere mortal Cellists on the other hand...The use of Gofriller might create unreasonable expectations from the composers. Normally only the low registers of Samples sound very good and convincing. This Instrument actually has a wonderful sounding high register and many Cellists are able to make it sound so good (not to mention in tune!@)

jmp

Go Back to forum