• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stravsinky's Rite of Spring from Craig Reeves

Share/Bookmark

Stravsinky's Rite of Spring from Craig Reeves

Craig Reeves just sent in the start of his mockup of Stravsinky's Rite of Spring. This is second movment, "Dances of The Young Girls".

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/cr-DancesYoung.mp3

This is a work in progress and Craig asked that I post it. Perhaps we can provide some constructive suggestions to make his rendition shine.

Your are off to a great start Craig. This must have taken quite some time to sequence and you're doing a remarkable job.

Thanks for sending this in.

Gary Garritan

Re: Stravsinky's Rite of Spring from Craig Reeves

Great start, indeed!

Other than some minor issues of instrument balance
    (pulling back the strings in places) and more work
    with tempi perhaps -- this is quite outstanding!

Beautiful job on this, Craig... much real skill and a
    strong understanding of Stravinsky is clearly in
    evidence!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

one thing sounds strange to my ear - the contrabassoon sounds as though it is playing an octave too low. could this be just a question of the GPO timbre for that particular instrument? or a particularly prominant mix for that instrument? (p.s. I'm a bassoonist)

I'll check on the contrabasoon part.
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Craig,

Really great work on this piece. I know it is work in progress and you will get the nuances down quickly. Balance of so many instruements is always a real problem for those who go beyond ensemble works. I will be pleased to hear the finished work. It is one of immense proportions!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Craig,

I hope you don't mind me posting, as it is a WIP and thus I don't know what you know needs to be done and what slipped you.

Actually I don't find the mock-up very successful, at least to this stage.

As I've said other times I'm not a GPO user, so don't know the sounds of the library (however I've used the Garritan Strings a lot of times...).

I find this piece (especially this part of the score) to be one of the most dynamic tracks in history and the mock-up lacks exactly that! It needs a lot of more 'punch'.

Again I don't know how you work (sequencer of notation programs) or the sounds from GPO, but it sounds that you should be using even higher velocities (without been able to tell for sure, because of my ignorance). The 8 French horns accents, don't sound at all like that, and don't even sound like french horns later on.

The tempo also needs a lot of variation. The different time signatures in the score, and the different 'parts' in real life would necessarily create a rather big (in midi terms) tempo variation, which is missing again from here.

Woods and the rest of the brass sound brilliant though. And the pizzicati as well!

I know that it is a WIP in thus will wait for the rest to come.

Go Back to forum