• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dom James finalist - BBC New TV Composer's Award 2006

Share/Bookmark

Dom James finalist - BBC New TV Composer's Award 2006

Dom James has just been selected as a finalist in the BBC new TV composer's award for 2006 with his entry called "Galapagos".

BBC New Talent, in conjunction with the BBC's Natural History Unit, set budding composers the exciting challenge of writing an original and imaginative piece of music for a BBC Natural History programme dealing with the Galapagos Islands. The contest was to create a soundtrack that transports the viewer to this unique place on our earth.

Here is the entry Dom submitted:
    GALAPAGOS
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/dom_jame...BBC_winner.mp3

GPO was used for almost the entire soundtrack except for a live clarinet solo and some of the drums. Dom will attend a specially tailored master classes with the world-class composer George Fenton and the BBC Concert Orchestra. The final winner will then be commissioned to write music for a programme from the Natural History Unit.

Congratulations Dom! Bravo!

Thanks for sharing the news and I wish you many more successes in the years to come.

Gary Garritan

Re: Dom James finalist - BBC New TV Composer's Award 2006

Wow, congrats! I entered this too - unfortuantly I'm one of the 1480 who didn't make it to final 20

Balls.

(by the way - I don't think this bloke 'won' the contest - he's just got through to the next round with half a dozen others. The winner gets to score a natural history documentary with the bbc after the masterclass)

But still, balls! On the one hand, it's good to hear the standard of composition which won a place in the masterclass stage, but on the other it's bloody annoying because I don't think my piece was 'bad' by any standard compared to this sort of thing.
    Anyway - I can moan all I want, but I'm not going off to a masterclass with the BBC philharmonic and George Fenton. Mr James is. So well done!

wilx,

Thanks for pointing that out. I made the correction. Hopefully next year you and navidson will be attending that masterclass.

No probs. And here's hoping...

He is the bloke selected! And I listened to this piece with joy. Strange effects, some very strange phrases, but surprisingly transparant. Congratulations!!

Raymond

Go Back to forum