• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A revolution for keyboard players

Share/Bookmark

A revolution for keyboard players

Dear All

I'd like to introduce you all to our latest discovery at www.drakemusicscotland.org. It's a piece of freeware that basically allows you to play the most complex midi files in real time using either one or two fingers. We are planning to use it with people who have physical disabilities but I've tried it and it has amazing potential for composers who like playing their music into the sequencer live but perhaps don't have the keyboard skills necessary to pull off the best of performances. It basically means that GPO/JABB/SSV users can pay more attention to the controllers and worry less about the right hand - all you have to do is play the rhythm and control legato and note velocity. It is truly amazing!!!

Before you dowload it and get started, check out the video about half way down the page. http://www.musanim.com/tapper/ConductorProgram.html

I spent some time over the last couple of days playing all those wonderful piano pieces I studied at university, pieces that I'm sad to say, can no longer play. The programme comes with some nice midi files but you can download all your favourite pieces at http://www.classicalarchives.com/

It's free to subscribe and they allow 5 free downloads per day. Most of the midi performances are by world class players.

Enjoy!!!

Brian

Re: A revolution for keyboard players

Thank you Brian for that lead on to this site.
    This software looks interesting. I've just downloaded it and I'll give it a go.

best,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BCopeBMus

...Before you dowload it and get started, check out the video about half way down the page. http://www.musanim.com/tapper/ConductorProgram.html
    Thanks for posting this, Brian!

I'm not drawn to the idea of automation generally, but when you put it in the context of accessibility, and add the idea of being able to alter your own composition for expression, more as a "conductor" than as a "techy", it seems more interesting.

The article on "tapper" is brilliant (if you scroll down some).

Love the name "Strangio" in context.

Cheers.

Good stuff!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Brian,

This article is fascinating! The history of performance playback and the various devices was interesting. There's a lot of gems in there that will be helpful in finding new ways of musical expression.

Let us know the progress you make with Tapper at the Drake Music Project. I think it's great you are finding new ways to enable people to be musical performers.

Gary Garritan

Very interesting. I saw the video with the Casio pt-1. I own (since... 1982) a Casio pt-10 keyboard, it's very cool... I use it in my music lessons, to explain the major and minor scales.
    - Matt
    GPO - Jazz and Big Band - Logic Pro 7.2
    iMac G5 - 20" 2GHz - 2Gb RAM - MacOs X.4.11 Tiger

Brian,

thank you for your hint, and I think you are doing fantastic work.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thumbs up Re: A revolution for keyboard players

THIS IS A DREAM BECOMING TRUE!

It's since 1981, after playing the nice and unexpensive musical calculator of Casio, that I'm looking for a similar tool managing MIDI sequences. No one of the live time variation tool was good enough to reach the instinctive and direct control you had with the 2 keys of the Casio little (microscopic ) keyboard! But IT IS!

(...I was looking for an easy but deep language or MIDI processor to program my own tool, but now no more effort necessary: it's ready and it works quite well).

I'm a keyboard player, but after years focusing more on composition and musicology than practice, the concentration to keep notes right, subtract expression and timing to my performances, and the result is rigid and cold. And a lot of takes are necessary before you have an acceptable recording live: no more stress now, just concentration on agogic and expression! Wow, I WILL HAVE FUN!

THANKYOU VERY MUCH INDEED!

For anyone who has tried the Tapper programme you may have noticed that on some computers it uses 100% CPU. The programmer is going to have a look at it over the weekend to lessen it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BCopeBMus
    For anyone who has tried the Tapper programme you may have noticed that on some computers it uses 100% CPU. The programmer is going to have a look at it over the weekend to lessen it.

Brian
    Well, on my computer, it caused a stop error and the message from Microsoft when the error was reported said it was caused by an unknown driver.

Richard

Go Back to forum