• Register
  • Help

Topic: AKAI vs. GIGA format

Share/Bookmark

AKAI vs. GIGA format

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions regarding formats for virtual instruments.

I just got ILIO Metamorphasis in GIGA format. For Stylus RMX, does it have to be in AKAI format? If so, how can I get Metamorphasis in AKAI format without having to pay for another product? I heard there is a way of doing this.

I also have the Garritan Personal Orchestra. On the box, it says "Powered by Kontakt" - which I do have Kontakt. However, I would like to use it in GigaStudio. Is it interchangeable?

Thanks,

Re: AKAI vs. GIGA format

There are programs to convert from Giga to Akai, but you will likely lose something in the process.

Stylus RMX comes in its own proprietary format, I believe, which is different than Akai.

GPO comes in Kontakt format with its own Kontakt player. But, you can use GPO in the full version Kontakt/Kontakt 2.

If I am wrong, pipe up.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

the short version... translating from one format to another is an imperfect process, but it can be done.

the long version... I use Chicken Systems Translator and FMJ Software Awave Studio, in conjuction with Sound Forge, Wavelab, and Sample Wrench, to move samples from one tool to another. It is a tedious process at best, so I try to limit this activity.

I have an Ensonic EPS and ASR-10, and an Akai S1000 in my studio, and both have extensive libraries that I am familiar with. I would hate to give up all those sounds, but I am growing quite fond of having an extensive user interface at my fingertips, and on the screen.

So I have used Awave and Translator to transfer all of these libraries into GigaStudio format. Neither program would translate every sample, but in general what didn't work in one did work in the other.

So now I have this huge (and growing... this is not a Sunday afternoon project) directory of samples from my piles of floppies. When I want to use one of those sounds in a production the real work starts!

I load the instrument, as translated, into GSEdit and start tweaking. One of the features that first attracted me to the EPS was the patch select buttons, so the first order of business is usually to map the 4 patches to a key switch map.

After that I examine key assignments, velocity switching, etc, and thus far I've been pretty happy with the way the instruments translate.

The last step is to tweak sample tuning and fix any broken loop points. This doesn't happen often, and when it does it is usually quite obvious.

Then I save the new instrument, and I'm off to the races!

I have kept all the original format samples in case I decided to buy K2 so that I can start the whole process from scratch. There is also the chance that translation tools will improve and I'll want to take advantage of that, but I think that is highly unlikely if I've already done my own editing and tweaking!!

I still have piles and piles of samples from the old EPS that I need to read in and translate... UGH! Almost makes it worthwhile to buy the CDs, but I have some real issues with paying for a license twice!!!

Check out Translator at: http://www.chickensys.com

Check out Awave at: http://www.fmjsoft.com/

Have fun!

Bill
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by kavenyk
    If so, how can I get Metamorphasis in AKAI format without having to pay for another product? I heard there is a way of doing this.
    Hi,

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...amorphosis.php

You might consider these reasons to get the Spectrasonics Metamorphosis S.A.G.E. Xpander even though you already own GIGA:

1. The Xpander will take about two minutes to install, and it will work flawlessly in RMX. (Your time alone is worth it!)

2. The Special Bonus Section includes grooves from Bizarre Guitar, Vocal Planet, Distorted Reality...

3. The amazing and often overlooked Multi patches that come with the Xpander take full advantage of S.A.G.E. technology. These multitrack grooves show the full potential of Metamorphosis with Stylus RMX.

I hope that's helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by kavenyk
    Hello all,

I have a couple of questions regarding formats for virtual instruments.

I just got ILIO Metamorphasis in GIGA format. For Stylus RMX, does it have to be in AKAI format? If so, how can I get Metamorphasis in AKAI format without having to pay for another product? I heard there is a way of doing this.
    You heard correctly that we have a special thing for GIGA Metamorphosis users.

(However, note that Metamorphosis is by Spectrasonics and not by ILIO.)

Please ignore all the info posted earlier in this thread regarding Metamorphosis GIGA and Stylus RMX - as it's not correct. ;-)

Email tech support about a special program we have for Metamorphosis GIGA users and we can help you directly:

info@spectrasonics.net

Best regards,

spectrum

spectrum,

Thanks for your reply. Just so you know, I sent an e-mail to your staff regarding the Metamorphosis GIGA format and program. You can search for the e-mail address sent by me at kelly.kaveny@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Kelly

Go Back to forum