• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Law Dept: Apple cracking down on use of the word "pod"

Share/Bookmark

Law Dept: Apple cracking down on use of the word "pod"

According to Wired:
    "Apple Computer has slapped Podcast Ready with a "cease and desist" letter, claiming that the terms "Podcast Ready" and "myPodder" infringe on Apple's trademarks, and that they cause confusion among consumers. The company has been cracking down on use of the word "pod" by all sorts of parties, even though its trademark is for the word "iPod."
    Will Apple succeed in aggressively defending the word "podcast" as its trademark? We'll see what happens. We may see a lot of different products and sites change their names.

Re: Law Dept: Apple cracking down on use of the word "pod"

I find this somewhat funny, for no good reason... hmmm...

The thing is that what message I'm getting from Apple, is that the company is slowly (or rapidly dunno) going down... :P It's just my hunch that apple and Mac are slowly sinking and from what I hear more and more people actually try to use PCs for music (which seemed a little unheard of, but now the general advice is to stick on what you know...).

But indeed changin all those names is going to be funny.

I've heard that to use the expression "Two peas in a pod" you now have to pay Apple royalties. Also Killer Whales have to travel in schools like regular fish now. No more fancy pods. (oh rats, I said pod, here come the law suit, crap I said it again...)

America has 80% of the worlds lawyers...

Hmmm...

www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I don't think they'll get very far... the term "podcast" is already too common. However, something like "myPodder" (which sounds ridiculous ) may be trademark infringement.

By the way, here's my podcast: http://www.clickcaster.com/wizardwalk

You can't escape "pod"
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

What about the Line 6 Pod?

For crying out loud, the Line 6 Pod, the guitar amplifier simulator and multi-effects device, has been on the market since January 1999.

iPods have only been around for what, three years?

Here's the current line of Pod products.

http://line6.com/products/pods/

Here's the original product announcement for the first Pod:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...POD-Ships.html

They've sold tens of thousands of Line 6 Pod products.

I can't see how this move of Apple's is going to succeed.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

And I've seen these pods all over the place: http://www.pods.com/ (Founded in 1998)

"ooo, they must be carrying iPods..."
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Well, there's one more word I'll have to add to my "can't say in public" list. Just how is this website stealing business from apple anyway? If nothing else, it's only creating awareness of their product... right?

In other news,

MotherNature has announced that she is sueing Apple for using the name of the popular fruit.
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Sean, your podcast about Mr Bot is hilarious!
    Dan

Here's the lyrics to my new song:

Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Pod, Apple Sucks...
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I'm bored too. Who can I sue? Sue who? Sue you! Me? Yeah, you! Why me? Your ad says right here, "Sue for punitive damages". So, I want to sue you for punitive damages!
    Poddy on the spot.

I want to sue the person who was using my sign in last night! "Loogoo" was the nick name. Any catches?
    Styxx

Go Back to forum