• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cheapest place?

Share/Bookmark

Cheapest place?

What is the cheapest place to buy K2? I am a geek for programming/scripting etc, and I would love to try coming up with some stuff. I have spent many years devoting all my time to a massive symphonic cycle, so I obviously have very little spare cash. Any pointers appreciated! So far I've been finding ridiculous prices like $500.

PS
    I could care less about the included library... if there is a cheaper version with just the sampler, I am all for that.

Cheers,
    -VR

PPS
    *If* the license is transferable, and you no longer want your K2 license, please 'kontakt' me.

Re: Cheapest place?

[quote=Von Richter]What is the cheapest place to buy K2? ... Any pointers appreciated! So far I've been finding ridiculous prices like $500.

I could care less about the included library... if there is a cheaper version with just the sampler, I am all for that.[quote]

Ditto!
    I do not really understand why a sample player must be so expensive ...

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

It's $375 at audiomidi.com. Froogle.com had several hits under $400.
    Ben N. Moore

Don't forget the crossgrade option, if you have another NI product. That's about $249 at B&H Photo.

Quote Originally Posted by JMDNYC
    Don't forget the crossgrade option, if you have another NI product. That's about $249 at B&H Photo.
    Do the libraries with bundled players like GPO and Gold count? Not that it matters since I don't own either. However, if they DID count, you could practically buy one of the darn libraries for the money you would save.

Yes, for GPO I can say that it counts.

Still 240 EUR are a lot of money if one is not interested in the libraries and the tutorial DVD.

I mean, such a player is a piece of software that grabs a soundfile, calculates its volume with some information like envelopes or what comes out of a script interface, and plays it. Or what did I miss? For me they are using their unique selling point (kompatibility and scripting) a tad too much.

Hannes

Tutorial DVD? What is that about? I don't want that junk, I've been programming since I got my hands on synths. I've already learned the K2 scripting language just by reading other peoples scripts. I just want to buy the program and start making my modifications/enhancements to the legato scripts!

Anyway, it looks like I gotta start scrooging towards that 375$ goal! Even though it's pricey, it is the best sampler around right now, and there is no way I am going to be happy without scripts any longer. I always wanted a scripting language in my samplers. I got so frustrated years ago that I started programming my own sampler, but Windows programming made my head explode. I did however come up with a semi-manual way to do the "crossfade w/pitch glide" legato (similar to SIPS), but it was much too resource-intensive and tedious to actually use. Believe it or not, I did it with arse-backwards Cakewalk application language programming, sliders, and soundfont 2.1 format. It could not be done in real time, but it sounded pretty cool after applying CAL script. The modulator routings and mapping features of the 2.1 format are more powerful than people think.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on about ancient history!

Too bad you did not do a programmable sampler then - today Native-instruments would have a competitor and would probably not use their marketing power to bundle their products so unreasonably.

I mean, the crossgrade from the Kontakt player 1.1.3 to Kontakt 2.1 (player only) should be 80 -100 $ or so - that would be fair. Instead of this they throw in their tutorial DVD and a lot of uncomplete libraries and charge 250 $ ... arrrgh ...

Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    I mean, such a player is a piece of software that grabs a soundfile, calculates its volume with some information like envelopes or what comes out of a script interface, and plays it. Or what did I miss? For me they are using their unique selling point (kompatibility and scripting) a tad too much.
    Oh come on

It's one thing to play a soundfile, that can be done with "Windows Media Player".

The other thing is to play one hundred soundfiles a time, transpose them, apply filters and so on. And to do that with 1.5 ms latency. Not to speak about granular synthesis and convolution.

In my opinion, every euro that I paid for Kontakt was very well spent!

Quote Originally Posted by Mahal
    Oh come on

It's one thing to play a soundfile, that can be done with "Windows Media Player".

The other thing is to play one hundred soundfiles a time, transpose them, apply filters and so on. And to do that with 1.5 ms latency. Not to speak about granular synthesis and convolution.

In my opinion, every euro that I paid for Kontakt was very well spent!
    Hmm ... if you have one excellently programmed object that grabs a soundfile and applies the filters then you can have hundred as well.

Convolution reverb is fine but most people have theirs already.

So - it is a good software but I don't want to pay for the tutorial DVD and the trial package libs. If I head to a new library I need the full version.

Just my 2c.

Hannes

Go Back to forum