• Register
  • Help

Topic: Notion features

Share/Bookmark

Notion features

Hi, In answer to the query on other thread, I have/bought a copy of Notion. I am learning the program and like it quite a bit. I do use Notator to sketch/compose because it's the best and simplest program I've ever found for composing, and I've looked at about 30. Then I export as MIDI to Notion. I have GPO and will try that out more eventually, but Notator/Notion seems quite a bit simpler to use than Sibelius/Kontakt/GPO.

Requests: I second the fellow who asked for a feature to export MIDI as well as import; to be able to see the full score (75% limit now it seems); to hear the notes as you enter them. And I'd add: have the ability to scrub. Show notes out of range in color as Sibelius does. Also, you can double octaves easily, which is a great feature. How about being able to set the interval to double, e.g. thirds and fifths? Also feature to copy the notes simply from one instrument to a new instrument without having to highlight the entire part (global copy).

Possible bugs: A buzz: Occasionally when I hit stop (red icon), the speakers will give a loud buzz, which stops after about 3 seconds. This has happened 3 or 4 times only. The fermata does not appear to center over the note.

I also got the extra string and percussion library and plan to get the brass and woodwind as well. I do enjoy working with the program.

Jon
    WinXP, 3 GHz/1.5 GB RAM. Notion, Sibelius3, GPO Studio, M-Audio 2496, Mackie 1202VLZ, Korg X5, M1.

Re: Notion features

Notator?Running on atari 1040?
    Time to resume my old atari and get back it to work!!!
    BTW,i have a strange behavior with flute staff :create two flute staff,merge them and the word flute 1 & 2 disappear.
    Also it is not possible inserting note above the flute staff (from c5 ),but using shift+8 (octave trasposition)you hear the sound one octave higher.

Sure you can insert those flutes notes--you just need to manually increase the size of the staff space by holding the black line -- up or down arrows appear and you can then drag the staff area up or down accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by dkala
    Notator?Running on atari 1040?
    Time to resume my old atari and get back it to work!!!
    BTW,i have a strange behavior with flute staff :create two flute staff,merge them and the word flute 1 & 2 disappear.
    Also it is not possible inserting note above the flute staff (from c5 ),but using shift+8 (octave trasposition)you hear the sound one octave higher.
    I'm assuming he's referring to Logic rather than Notator.

Bass Clarinet transposition options in Notion are odd.

I am aware of French and German notation options for the instrument. There are 2 basic ways (plus other historical transposition options-- Bass Clarinet in A for example) to write a bass clarinet part--B flat (M2 trans), and B flat (M2 plus an octave). One can then enter a clef--bass or treble.

I guess the rationale for that was to allow for both French and German notation options. However, if one makes a wrong choice with any of the 4 notation variables--there are many, many unwiedly ledger lines. I would gather there would be a lot of frustrated bass clarinetists reading these parts as it is quite easy to mess up here. It's the only transposition I have to be careful that with--ironic as I was a bass clarinetist!

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I'm assuming he's referring to Logic rather than Notator.
    Unfortunately not. I do have Logic (PC) and would use it a lot more if I ever got around to making (or finding) an environment that is half as efficient as Notator (on the 1040).

Jon
    WinXP, 3 GHz/1.5 GB RAM. Notion, Sibelius3, GPO Studio, M-Audio 2496, Mackie 1202VLZ, Korg X5, M1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Knowles
    Unfortunately not. I do have Logic (PC) and would use it a lot more if I ever got around to making (or finding) an environment that is half as efficient as Notator (on the 1040).

Jon
    Wow- so I guess you're still using hardware racks/samplers to play your pieces on because the 1040ST version was years before plug-ins were invented.

Go Back to forum