• Register
  • Help

Topic: Core 2 Duo K2 Perf Enhancements?

Share/Bookmark

Core 2 Duo K2 Perf Enhancements?

Anyone using a Core 2 Duo rig and noticing improvements in K2 performance?

DR

Re: Core 2 Duo K2 Perf Enhancements?

Di Didier,

Kontakt 2 isn't available as Universal Binary yet (meaning supporting both Intel Macs and PowerMacs), so it will run under Rosetta emulation on the Intel Core 2 Duo's which doesn't make a fair performance comparison.

Ask the question again when Native Instruments releases the Universal Binaries for their products.

Best,

Maarten
    Creative Director
    ProjectSAM
    Cinematic Sampling
    www.projectsam.com

Maarten....

I was asking for those users on a PC. Building/Updating a few new PC boxes and was just curious whether or not to spring for that or just settle for the P$.

Looking forward to SAM Perc 2.

DR

Ah I see! With the awesome new Macs released I'd almost forget PC's are evoluting too...

About True Strike 2... we just updated our website with new info and music demos, including an introduction of a new library series. But let's put any questions concerning that into a separate thread.

Best,

Maarten
    Creative Director
    ProjectSAM
    Cinematic Sampling
    www.projectsam.com

I'm using Kontakt (standalone) on an Athlon64 X2.

Kontakt has a "multiprocessor support" switch, but states that this only works well when the latency is high. That means that in order to be able to divide the work into independant parts for each processor, the chunks of audio data (that are processed at a time) have to be rather large.

However, since upgrading to dual core, the overall responsiveness of my machine has increased a lot. There's always CPU power left for the user interface.

All in all, if you're using the machine for nothing but audio, dual core is not so interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahal
    I'm using Kontakt (standalone) on an Athlon64 X2.

Kontakt has a "multiprocessor support" switch, but states that this only works well when the latency is high. That means that in order to be able to divide the work into independant parts for each processor, the chunks of audio data (that are processed at a time) have to be rather large.

However, since upgrading to dual core, the overall responsiveness of my machine has increased a lot. There's always CPU power left for the user interface.
    Danke!

This is the answer I was searching for. I know this multiprocessor checkbox exists. My intention is to use these machines as stand alone K2 players (as if the several I already have aren't enough!). I am looking for lots of CPU headroom to run a convolution verb in K2 AND not have to watch for CPU spikes when I layback stems to Pro Tools.

DR

Quote Originally Posted by Didier Rachou
    Danke!

This is the answer I was searching for. I know this multiprocessor checkbox exists. My intention is to use these machines as stand alone K2 players (as if the several I already have aren't enough!). I am looking for lots of CPU headroom to run a convolution verb in K2 AND not have to watch for CPU spikes when I layback stems to Pro Tools.

DR
    Hi Didier,
    I thought this quote by Wolfgang - one of the Kontakt2 developers - on the NI Forums might interest you:
    The other thing to be aware of is the fact, that all non-voice parts of the signal chain (instrument + multi effects for example) cannot be shared between the processors. So if the main CPU drain within your patches results from 4 convolution master effects, the second processor will give you no benefit.
    It is referring to Kontakt2.0 though, so it's possible that there have been improvements in this area. In the same thread it's also pointed out that the benefits of using multiprocessor is very much dependant on the latency you use. For really low latencies (down to 1-2ms) there might even be worse performance.

Nils

Nils,

Thank you for this. i appreciate you taking the time to post the link and your findings.

Best,
    DR

Go Back to forum