• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mod wheel position won't save

Share/Bookmark

Mod wheel position won't save

I'm using GPO and everything seems to be working fine, except that the mod wheels reset themselves to 0 even though I save. And there's always one instrument that does save the right position, though it seems random throughout my files.

BTW, I use FL Studio.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? If it helps any I haven't done the 30-day register yet (but only on day 2.)

Re: Mod wheel position won't save

Not sure about that, but the modwheel position in the player is more or less an illustration. The actual modwheel position will come from a cc01 value that you either record or note in your sequencer / notation program.

When I notate I make sure I put something at the beginning of the file - a dynamical mark that is related to a cc01 value or simply an entry in the cc01 part of the piano roll. When I record in my sequencer I make sure that I move the modwheel a bit as soon as the record starts.

Hope this helps

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

The mod wheel is not a "set and forget" control for instrument volume. It is an expressive controller (volume/timbre) that is used to shape the continuous dynamic changes of (non-percussive type) GPO instruments. As such, there should be almost constant cc#1 data in your tracks. This cc#1 data supplies the dynamic ebb and flow - analogous to the blowing of air through a wind instrument or, in string instruments, drawing the bow across the strings. The higher the data value the stonger the air flow or bow pressure.

To expand on what Hannes said: Make sure you are not trying to use the GPO player's graphic interface (the graphic mod wheel in particular) in your attempt to enter data. The graphic interface is a convenience for testing and nothing more. The GPO graphic mod wheel generates only internal data for the player and does not export data to your tracks. It therefore lacks a mechanism for the movements of the graphic mod wheel to be "remembered." All cc#1 data must be directly recorded to your tracks from an external controller (such as a keyboard) or entered graphically for each track using the drawing tools in your sequencer.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    All cc#1 data must be directly recorded to your tracks from an external controller (such as a keyboard) or entered graphically for each track using the drawing tools in your sequencer.
    ... or played by dynamical expressions from a notation program.

To second that what Tom wrote, without cc#1 all the time it will not sound like music! This is my personal pet peeve with much what is posted in the listening room actually. I am too polite to say it there too often, so I take the chance to say it here.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

I think I understand what you guys mean. My question now is how I'm supposed to access such a panel. FL Studio automatically has a velocity measurer, but not damper and the other GPO settings.

Edit: Ah, so THIS is what the FL tutorial is for. I don't have GPO set up properly quite yet. I'll get back to you guys later

Go Back to forum