• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Virtual Analog Synth Emulating a Symphony - MP3 Demo

Share/Bookmark

Virtual Analog Synth Emulating a Symphony - MP3 Demo

Samples? I don't need no stinking samples, nor physical modelling algorithms, nor additive resynthesis. Just oscs, filters, envs, lfos, etc. is all I need.

I spent about two months at Arturia's Moog Modular V softsynth, which emulates the old Moog analog modular synth, synthesizing all the instruments of an orchestra, most to the point of nearly being indistinguishable from samples. Following is demo I just finished. One reason I like to do this kind of stuff is to show that synths can do this kind of stuff even in nobody else has ever been able to accomplish it. It's too bad sample libraries exist, because sampling killed the art of synthesis before anybody really pushed it to its maximum.

I've only heard this through headphones, so I hope it sounds OK through speakers. Impressive when played loud. This is 100% Arturia synth with just some outboard EQ and reverb. I'm still in the process of refining my sounds and need to add realtime expression to them too. Mostly hearing strings, woodwinds, horn, timpani, and a some trumpet notes mirroring the timpani. Too bad Beethoven didn't use a big brass section because I would have liked to have shown that too.

http://home.att.net/~synth6/Arturia_..._Beethoven.mp3

-Elhardt

Re: Virtual Analog Synth Emulating a Symphony - MP3 Demo

impressive. you made quite a splash with your earlier demo and this is good too. YOu should turn the timpani down a bit. Some of the woodwind passages sound a bit organish. but overall, you are right that it sounds like samples.

so u r trying to get a job with arturia, i take it??

Wow, I honestly didn't expect this kind of quality. I expected some Wendy Carlos stuff...

Amazing stuff. Excellent sounddesign!
    Have you ever considered offering those patches for sale?
    That would finally give me a reason to purchase the Arturia synth!

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Elhardt
    One reason I like to do this kind of stuff is to show that synths can do this kind of stuff even in nobody else has ever been able to accomplish it. It's too bad sample libraries exist, because sampling killed the art of synthesis before anybody really pushed it to its maximum.-Elhardt
    A touch of the Ludwig Van oh my brother.

That's great - you really made it bounce.

Very impressive! People forget how versitile synths are in the hands of a skilled programmer. And the Arturia stuff seems like they're as good as it gets in the analog modeling software world. Do you have a hardware synth programming background?

Although I think it sounds good, I don't think it has the realism of modern orchestra sample libraries, there's still some synthy-ness (which makes sense because it is a synth) but I'm sure once the sound design was done it was much easier to put that piece together then to wade through a ton of articulations. Probably much more fun to play too, with lots of realtime control.

I'd also be interested in patches if you ever decided to sell them..

Michael

That was great... I am a geek for this kind of stuff.

I missed this one before... but can you believe it??
    Coming on a sample forum sayin' "samples killed synthesis?!?"
    You're crazy man... I love it!!!

Very nice demo. Surprisingly good tone.

Very good! Tell us a little more, very interesting.
    Marcelo Colina

I am surprised.
    Cannot believe it.
    Let us listen more...

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Go Back to forum