• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gofriller demo: J.S.Bach - Suite 3, C major - Bourrée I & II

Share/Bookmark

Gofriller demo: J.S.Bach - Suite 3, C major - Bourrée I & II

My turn to get butchered Take your best shot

My first attempt with the Gofriller is a cello classic:

Bourrée I & II from Johann Sebastian Bach's Suite No. 3 in C major for unaccompanied cello.

There are two options:

Normal mp3 (8 MB)

or

mp3Pro (2 MB)

Shoot!

Re: Gofriller demo: J.S.Bach - Suite 3, C major - Bourrée I & II

Well, it's not too bad. The sound is probably too uniform for this Bach piece overall. It sounds like you've 'blocked' this while playing somehow. This particular style of Bach in reality, sings more and has more tonal variety. I am only interested at the moment because I'm in the middle of doing a 1 minute Bach-style string quartet I've blown up from a piano part I did a couple days ago. I know how difficult this is to get the right sound. Probably impossible with samples actually.

Anyway, this is OK although it almost turns into a 'Bachian Sea Shanty' in places. Good try.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    My turn to get butchered Take your best shot
    Ok Nickie, you asked for it....................
    I quite liked it actually.

I have heard versions of this, that are a little more dramatic. Greater flexibility in terms of tempo, greater variety of volume and of tone, more extreme shifts, huge wobbly vibrato.
    I have also heard versions like yours, which show more restraint, and concentrate on the clarity of the lines.

What is very interesting about the Gofriller, ( and Stradi) is how it gives you the freedom to express your vision of the piece. This is definitely Bach played by Nickie Fønshauge, and it says what you want to say with it.

Those of you who have played the Stradi, ( and the Gofriller) may understand this point.
    I have some libraries, that have wonderful sounding raw samples. To achieve a musical performance from them, requires knitting together different articulations. This yields some satisfaction with the end result, but very little satisfaction with the process. By the time I have trawled through a zillion articulations, I have often forgotten what I meant to say.
    The instantaneous nature of the Stradi/Gofriller technology, keeps me involved every step of the way.

This way of controlling sound feels like the future.

The mega-bloat Library approach, will suit some, particularly those who have invested a lot of time in setting up PC farms, complicated templates, etc, etc.
    I dont see the world getting any slower in the immediate future, so instantaneous personal expression, as afforded by the Gofriller/Stradi is always going to be appealing.

I have noted in the past that Nickie does not care for overly romantic use of Solo strings, with wide fast vibrato, and huge lunging portamenti. So it was nice to hear the Gofriller being played, with restraint, and delicacy.

Well done. I enjoyed it.

regards Joe

Hi, Joe. Thank you for the kind words.

You are right, Bach can be played a lot more romantic, but should he? Well, you got my answer That been said, I admit I do like old Pau Casals' very romantic interpretation. I just wouldn't like to play it like that myself. I guess my old cello teacher gave me some good habits - and thank you Hansi for that

And you are absolutely right about the freedom of expression the Gofriller and the Stradivari give you. No patchworking or painting-by-numbers here. I recently bought the Westgate Oboe Module, but, although the raw samples are exquisite, I know I won't get to use it much until I have reprogrammed it completely to behave more like the Garritan Solo Strings.

Actually it's not too bad.

A technical question: I really miss some natural open release samples for the bass notes you play. I know them only playd with an open end, so the bow would not stop the sound, but let it ring. Is that possible with the Garritan solo strings? Do I make myself clear?

Yes, I know what you mean. An open string has a substantially longer decay than a stopped string.

Actually, "open" is not the right word (language thing), but I think we still talk of sort the same thing. The note can of course be played without stopping it at the end of bowing even when it is not an open string. Let's call it "open end"...

I suppose I should just add to the celebration of how far this technology has come.

The Gofriller is impressive software... and Nickie is obviously an accomplished musician. But the tone on this rendition is very insistent, maybe even slightly mechanical, and, even more noticeably, the attacks are unusually uniform.

I don't think you have to go so far as Pablo Casals or even Yo Yo Ma either, nothing wrong with a less affected rendition. I'd settle for far less than romantic if it were just a bit more animated and maybe a little more "lyrical".

You're a brave soul Nickie... hard to think of a more sacred cow when it comes to cello than any of Bach's Cello Suites.

So I guess everybody has an opinion on it... me included.

Brave is the word. Two issues when it comes to using samples.

Issue one - when you're so familiar with a written classic writer and works from the likes of Bach - you consciously or otherwise have no option but to think - performance in real time.

Issue two - when you write a thing yourself, the sampled sound matters a lot less.

Ok, have to jump in here, having had the joy of playing transcriptions of them on the bass, and even getting out the carving knife and butchering them on cello every now and again.

Nickie, I really enjoyed your restrained interpretation. IMHO Bach is not Bruch, and there is no real need for lots of portamento, and other romantic effects. The rythmic feel, pacing, and overall bounce struck me as most appropriate.

One thing I would have done differently would have been to use a bit more legato on the first half of the second Bourree, as the slurring in Bourree II is more substantial than in Bourree I.

Very enjoyable and well done.

Hint to Gary: if possible, please add longer open string release samples as an option (yes, stopped notes are often used in place of open strings in a passage when vibrato is desired as vibrato cannot be played on an open string). Open release samples for an open D, G, or C string would have helped to simulate a real player, as there were places where an open string would have been played where the short release tails on those notes made it obvious that samples were being used.

Jim

Go Back to forum