• Register
  • Help

Topic: Panis Angelicus

Share/Bookmark

Panis Angelicus

This well know and loved work by Cesar Franck, "Panis Angelicus", literally meaning "Bread Of Angels", is well known as a vocal solo or duet at many weddings and other religious occasions. Here, I have set it for Solo Tenor Trombone and Trombone Choir (3T 2B). For this playback I used the GPO tenor trombones and the JABB open bass trombones. This was also my first attempt at adding vibrato to a solo instrument.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/PanisAngelicusTromb.mp3

As a comparison of sound, here is the same arrangment performed by the Eastman Trombone Choir in Kilborne Hall directed by Dr. John Marcellus (©1999). The comparison is a little unfair as they are 20+ members. And they still have such a wonderful golden sound.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Pani...0Trombones.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Panis Angelicus

I enjoyed both of them.

I noticed that the trombonist would soften the vibrato notes and fade a bit so maybe you could try lowering the velocity and also fade it out a bit in audio when using vibrato for a more realistic effect. I imagine it's something that is hard to recreate with software.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    I enjoyed both of them.

I noticed that the trombonist would soften the vibrato notes and fade a bit so maybe you could try lowering the velocity and also fade it out a bit in audio when using vibrato for a more realistic effect. I imagine it's something that is hard to recreate with software.

Phil
    Thanks Phil. It is especially difficult to do that in notation. But I am just learning the vibrato thing with Finale.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Fine arrangement of this, Gary; the Eastman Trombone Choir
    more than does it justice.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Gary - you have done a very good job on this. Just one suggestion - I would bring out the second voice canon more (starting at 2'11") - the line is there , but it should ideally be more prominent, answering the main melody.
    Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it - it's a favourite piece of mine, and it's nice to hear it done by brass ensemble in contrast to the usual vocal/organ arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    This well know and loved work by Cesar Franck, "Panis Angelicus", literally meaning "Bread Of Angels", is well known as a vocal solo or duet at many weddings and other religious occasions. Here, I have set it for Solo Tenor Trombone and Trombone Choir (3T 2B). For this playback I used the GPO tenor trombones and the JABB open bass trombones. This was also my first attempt at adding vibrato to a solo instrument.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/PanisAngelicusTromb.mp3

As a comparison of sound, here is the same arrangment performed by the Eastman Trombone Choir in Kilborne Hall directed by Dr. John Marcellus (©1999). The comparison is a little unfair as they are 20+ members. And they still have such a wonderful golden sound.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Pani...0Trombones.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I enjoyed both these Gary. The live performance has a certain fragile quality - as if the notes are about to break up in places. This would be almost impossible to emulate. Only guessing, but lowering the velocity might help to get closer to this - I've found that to be the case with the strings. That said, your GPO rendition creates a good clear, and enjoyable sound.

Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene
    Gary - you have done a very good job on this. Just one suggestion - I would bring out the second voice canon more (starting at 2'11") - the line is there , but it should ideally be more prominent, answering the main melody.
    Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it - it's a favourite piece of mine, and it's nice to hear it done by brass ensemble in contrast to the usual vocal/organ arrangement.
    Eugene,

Thanks for your comments and suggection. I can take a look into it. I am glad you enjoyed it. It seems to be favorite of others that have commented on the live performance as well.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    I enjoyed both these Gary. The live performance has a certain fragile quality - as if the notes are about to break up in places. This would be almost impossible to emulate. Only guessing, but lowering the velocity might help to get closer to this - I've found that to be the case with the strings. That said, your GPO rendition creates a good clear, and enjoyable sound.

Regards, Graham
    Graham,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. The work is done in Finale notation and that makes detailed emulations rather difficult. Especially compared to the spontanaty of a live performance. The solosist gave it a lovely performance as well as the choir of 22 other trombonists. Hard to believe it when you hear the recording.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary,

this is the right piece for going to bed now, hoping that I can get some of the angel's bread during my sleep and wake up with a new melody tomorrow.

Thank you for this one!

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Gary,

this is the right piece for going to bed now, hoping that I can get some of the angel's bread during my sleep and wake up with a new melody tomorrow.
    Thank you for this one!

Hannes
    Hannes,

I hope that you slept well because of the good angel bread.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum