• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Finale Edition: Strings Touch Sensitive?

Share/Bookmark

GPO Finale Edition: Strings Touch Sensitive?

Hi,

I find the strings in GPO Finale Edition have very little maybe no touch sensitive response.

The Steinway Piano has a lot of touch sensitivity. Terrific!

Am I wrong, doing something wrong, or do the strings have no touch sensitivity?

I am using the Steinway and the strings in the same score I feel I am treating both instruments the same but the strings give me no sensitivity.

Thanks.

Re: GPO Finale Edition: Strings Touch Sensitive?

GPO contains two types of instruments, "percussive" (like piano and most percussion) and "expressive" (like most strings and winds.) Percussive instruments are velocity sensitive for volume changes because these instruments have "strike and decay" behavior; expressive instruments use mod wheel data for continuous expressive volume changes to mimic the continuous dynamic behavior of instruments like strings and winds. Velocity controls attack strength in expressive instruments, not volume. I urge you to read up on the controller structure of GPO; it is not like other libraries. You need to understand the way it works to take advantage of its greater control.

Tom

To explain a wee bit further, when you are playing a GPO instrument such as strings, horns and woodwinds, you want to have your left hand on the mod wheel at all times. You have to constantly adjust the mod wheel to make dynamics--which can be quite dramatic.

If you are working with a sequencer, you have to record a mod wheel value in the strings' sequencer track before the notes start playing. Otherwise you may start out with a mod wheel setting of 0, which means pppp.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Tremendous information. I tired it it works great. Thanks.

I am using Finale and inputing notes directly (Simple Note Entry Tool) into the notation. Not recording in real time. It seems like I will have to make adjustments to the mod wheel data in Finale after I have input the notes. Or maybe I can record mod wheel data as a pass after I input the notes.

Any thoughts on this in Finale?

(The GPO Finale Edition does follow expression marks in the score, but this is I figure midi volume, not velocity on the mod wheel?)

Another question: When I save a multi of GPO Finale Edition instruments it does not show up in Libraries in Kontakt 2. It saves in the UserPatches folder and I can load it again, but it would be nice if it were in Libraries window of Kontakt Player 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Parker

I am using Finale and inputing notes directly (Simple Note Entry Tool) into the notation. Not recording in real time. It seems like I will have to make adjustments to the mod wheel data in Finale after I have input the notes. Or maybe I can record mod wheel data as a pass after I input the notes.

Any thoughts on this in Finale?
    In Finale, begin by using HP to get the best playback. HP looks at all of the markings a musician would read. So fill your score up with: Dynamics, slurs, articulations, tempo markings, hairpin cresc, & decresc., etc... The more information that you put in the score, the more information that HP will have to interpret. If that isn't enough, then use Finale's midi tool to edit various midi data.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Parker
    ...but this is I figure midi volume, not velocity on the mod wheel?)
    Don't assume anything, this is not midi volume. This is CC#1 (Mod Wheel). There is no velocity on the mod wheel. Velocity is the speed at which the note is played. Faster velocity results in accented notes. Make sure you read the GPO and Finale documentation so you'll completely understand the controllers.

Jeff

Point taken. I will read the manual.

I am relieved that Finale is so good at reading the score.

Thanks again.

Go Back to forum