• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Topic: Question on Distortion/Ambience

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question on Distortion/Ambience

    Hi all,

    I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction, give me any clues as to what's going on, or maybe just how things work. I have been using GPO & Overture SE for awhile now, basically experamenting with different controls. I have Overture 4, but could never get it to 'play' the GPO sounds, so I've put it on the back burner for now. I have a Pentium D processor, which has never gone over 40%. Windows XP Pro. I have a gig of Ram, and an M-Audio USB sound card. I have read of other people's settings for ambience, elsewhere on these forums, and I have to say that I can't set my dry/wet sliders anywhere near what some others have suggested, or I get terrible distortion. The distortion seems to be on the dry slider, not the wet. Anything above one click up from inf, to the left, and it's awful. Is there any direction someone could point me to, where I might be setting something up wrong, or would this be something in my system just not being able to handle it? Generally, I'm not using more than 4 or 5 instances of the Kontakt player, and am using individual channels per each instrument, but doubling up on instruments per channel, doesn't seem to change anything. It still distorts. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I've had this problem since I first bought the program, and haven't figured it out yet. Thanks.

    Char.

  2. #2

    Re: Question on Distortion/Ambience

    It sounds like your volume is set way too high. Or are you by any chance using wet instruments?

  3. #3

    Re: Question on Distortion/Ambience

    I just tried to answer this, and it said it was an invalid subject. What?????

    I'll try to do it piece meal, and see if it goes through.

    I generally use a combination of the volume on my sound card, and the mod wheel on the player.

    I usually use solo, or section strings. Does that help any??

    Char.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    It sounds like your volume is set way too high. Or are you by any chance using wet instruments?

  4. #4

    Re: Question on Distortion/Ambience

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Or are you by any chance using wet instruments?
    I see this more dry/wet? I know what it means, but I don't know where you can set the dry/wet thing... or is this a particular library I don't have?

    Raymond

  5. #5

    Re: Question on Distortion/Ambience

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    I see this more dry/wet? I know what it means, but I don't know where you can set the dry/wet thing... or is this a particular library I don't have?

    Raymond
    Before the latest update (1.1.8.3) there were Wet and Dry patches. The Wet ones had their own per-patch reverb. You may still have them, if you did the update. If you add reverb to an already reverbed patch, you may have trouble.

  6. #6

    Re: Question on Distortion/Ambience

    Quote Originally Posted by Mezzo
    I generally use a combination of the volume on my sound card, and the mod wheel on the player.

    I usually use solo, or section strings. Does that help any??

    Char.
    I was thinking of the Volume knob in the Player. It may be controlled somehow from Overture.

  7. #7

    Re: Question on Distortion/Ambience

    Apparently, I can't click a link in an email, and be able to post to this forum, even if I am logged in, because it always says, invalid topic.

    Here goes again....

    I did some checking on the GPO update page, and my computer, and it appears that I have all the correct updates. I did find two different version numbers though. The one you mentioned, appears to be if you want to hook up a MIDI instrument. The one I'm using, version: 1.0.2.008 is associated with the Garritan studio. I am assuming that's the way it is supposed to be????

    On my player, I have 8 different sections of instruments. Then dry, wet, and multis near the bottom. It looks pretty similar to the one you're talking about. I usually pick from the list of 8, but if I choose dry, I get a much cleaner, brighter sound, and no muddiness or distortion. I'm just not always looking for that sound. Maybe I'm not setting things up correctly. It does make sense, what you're saying with two reverbs. Does this sound like the case from what I am trying to explain??

    Char.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Before the latest update (1.1.8.3) there were Wet and Dry patches. The Wet ones had their own per-patch reverb. You may still have them, if you did the update. If you add reverb to an already reverbed patch, you may have trouble.

  8. #8

    Re: Question on Distortion/Ambience

    Quote Originally Posted by Mezzo
    I did some checking on the GPO update page, and my computer, and it appears that I have all the correct updates. I did find two different version numbers though. The one you mentioned, appears to be if you want to hook up a MIDI instrument. The one I'm using, version: 1.0.2.008 is associated with the Garritan studio. I am assuming that's the way it is supposed to be????
    All GPO versions are for use with/without MIDI keyboards. V1.1.8.3 was primarily an update for Finale users, I think, but there may be other improvements/bug fixes as well. It can also be used with Studio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezzo
    On my player, I have 8 different sections of instruments. Then dry, wet, and multis near the bottom. It looks pretty similar to the one you're talking about. I usually pick from the list of 8, but if I choose dry, I get a much cleaner, brighter sound, and no muddiness or distortion. I'm just not always looking for that sound. Maybe I'm not setting things up correctly. It does make sense, what you're saying with two reverbs. Does this sound like the case from what I am trying to explain??
    Looks like my setup, except for the "9. Notation" folder between the 8 other newer folders and the old Dry/Wet folders. As long as you don't use instruments from the Wet folder, you don't get double reverberation, so this is not the problem. I think you should instead take a good look at the Volume knob and the meter in the Kontakt Player. How do they behave?

  9. #9

    Re: Question on Distortion/Ambience

    Hmmm. Okay. I didn't know that, obviously. I'll have to do some more investigating. I don't see any way to get more than one instance of that player.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    All GPO versions are for use with/without MIDI keyboards. V1.1.8.3 was primarily an update for Finale users, I think, but there may be other improvements/bug fixes as well. It can also be used with Studio.

    If we're both talking about the mod wheel on the left, it is usually about 3/4 the way up. I don't know if this makes sense, but when I was having the distortion problem, the meter never went into the red. It just barely went up into the orange area once in awhile. If I use dry instruments, it almost always goes up into the red area, but doesn't sound bad to me. I don't 'think' my ears are quite that bad yet. Does this sound normal??

    Char.

    Looks like my setup, except for the "9. Notation" folder between the 8 other newer folders and the old Dry/Wet folders. As long as you don't use instruments from the Wet folder, you don't get double reverberation, so this is not the problem. I think you should instead take a good look at the Volume knob and the meter in the Kontakt Player. How do they behave?

  10. #10

    Re: Question on Distortion/Ambience

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Before the latest update (1.1.8.3) there were Wet and Dry patches. The Wet ones had their own per-patch reverb. You may still have them, if you did the update. If you add reverb to an already reverbed patch, you may have trouble.
    OK, I stay indoors now. Thanks

    Raymond

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •