• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Infinity" - Something not 100% finished

Share/Bookmark

"Infinity" - Something not 100% finished

Hello everyone!

Between a lot of "real work", preparing my Valse tragique for rendering by fellow NS member Hannes and other things, I wanted to do a kind of test: Something blatantly simple, no fancy orchestration. Just test out some sample libraries I own for an upcoming project and maybe create something fun in the process that could be used as a demo for applying as musician in a space PC game.

So one Saturday I sat down and wrote this little thingie in 2 hours, fleshed it out in 3 more hours. Orchestration took only a week, which is very short for me.

The difficult part was rendering it in Cubase... But thanks to you wonderful people I learned a great deal in the past years! This is the first piece of music in which I am happy with the reverb: It is not muddy, not muffled! And I made sure to keep my fingers away from the EQs! When trying to bring out some frequencies I tried to do that with multiband compression, which turned out nicely! I also aplied what I learned about layering section and solo strings and applied plenty of Kontakts humanizer scripts.

In case someone is still interested, here is the final mixdown in various formats:

Infinity (good quality, variable bitrate OGG, 4,33MB)
    Infinity (bad quality, 160kbps MP3, 3,87MB)
    Infinity (MP3 as above but in a .zip file) <- for those with download problems

Rudimentary score (for those who enjoy reading along while listening)

I would like to hear your comments about the overall mix, how the string layering works, etc. I am not sure if the mix is 100% perfect yet... And of course if you enjoyed it!

p.s.: Those who need Directshow filters to play back OGG-files can try these. They are free, virus/spyware-free and work like a charm.

p.p.s.: Edit: Older mixdowns removed for space considerations.

Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: "Infinity" - Something not 100% finished

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Hello everyone!

So after babbling way too long, here are the links (Please right-click and "Save as"):

Infinity (4,3MB)
    What is it exactly that you are downloading? I was sort of expecting an mp3 file.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

It is an ogg-file. I was able to open it in audacity, but here it is only a few seconds long ...

Sounds promising, though.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Yes, it is an OGG Vorbis file. It is a compressed music file format, superior to mp3, played by nearly all music players on all systems and most importantly: You don't need to pay license fees and won't get sued for not paying. That is important for me.

Sorry, but I try to stay away from mp3 as much as possible. In Austria and Germany the music industry takes great pride in suing amateurs and ruining their whole financial existence for things like this. By not using mp3, I feel safer.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Your song plays 12 seconds with Winamp 5.08c.

License fees for the use of the mp3 codec? Well, all my fans have to push their dsl-connections to the limit - I'll share my stuff as pure WAVE...!

Pete, do you have informations where to pay that mp3 fee? And what's the prize tag for it?

Sorry, my webhoster seems to be broken, again. I can download the files without problems. Maybe it will work for you tomorrow.

About the mp3 stuff: Use of MP3 was free for some years, then the Fraunhofer Institute decided to collect fees from all the companies who implement mp3 in their technology. I remember there was a huge amout of confusion abot who has to pay and who not. Unfortunately the crazy lawsuit madness has come from the USA to europe and many lawyers are making a lot of money by creating lawsuits by abusing loopholes in the national laws. Since most encoders for mp3 are proprietary and have to be paid for (e.g.: The Steinberg encoder in Wavelab), and I could never prove that I did not use one of them for encoding it would be easy to sue me.

Sorry, but I saw enough people (amateurs) getting sued for thousands of Euros for little things. I do not want that to happen to me. I am genuinley afraid of that.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Yes, it is an OGG Vorbis file. It is a compressed music file format, superior to mp3, played by nearly all music players on all systems and most importantly: You don't need to pay license fees and won't get sued for not paying. That is important for me.
    Well I don't see it supported by any of my players and I don't care to download yet another player to read yet one more data format. I will wait until it comes out in the theaters Sorry about that.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I fully understand your point and it is ok for me! But I would love to know which media player you use.

Just tried downloading the files and they all worked fine for me. I will be back in Austria on Tuesday evening and hopefully in time to call technical support of my hosting company. Maybe they can explain what is happening.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Peter,

I can play your .ogg files just fine. They oppen in Sound Forge by default.

Aleksandar

Thank god at least one could download and open the file!

The rest can (if they want) try these DirectShow filters which allow every application to open OGG Vorbis files: http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

And what did you think about my mix? After listening to it on various speakers I found some tinghs I will try to fix. But I would love to hear opinions.

I really have great hopes that this is how GPOA will sound:

Brass is completely ProjectSAM (juggled together from multiple layers of Horns, Trombones, Trumpets, Solo Sessions instruments)
    Woodwinds are from KH Emerald (because of the raw power they have at fortissimo veliocities), except for the Bass clarinet
    Percussion is PS True Strike

... and the strings are a layered combination of a complete GPO string section + 1-2 GPO solo strings per section (wonderfully expressive!!) and KH Emerald strings + solos for each sections (to add volume and giev more sharpness to the spiccati).

I really hope, GPOA will be like this. Or better. Well, as we know Gary, it will be a 100 times better...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast