• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: Before blaming Giga...

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Before blaming Giga...

    Although it is easy (and, to some extent, satisfying) to reflexively blame Giga for anything that goes wrong on one's computer... anyone who is going crazy because his/her computer has been crashing or generating odd error messages should first do the following, to try to accurately pinpoint the misbehaving application or Windows service:

    Go to Windows Control Panel > Administrative Tools.

    Double-click "Event Viewer."

    Double-click first "Application Log" and then "System Log" and, in each one, check for any recent errors -- these are the ones marked with a big red X.

    Right-click each such error and select "Properties."

    Hopefully you will see enough information there to give you an idea what went wrong with your system, and which application or service is responsible... or at least enough info to post here to solicit useful solutions, without provoking the simple-yet-nonproductive pleasure of group Giga-bashing...

    Good luck in any case!!
    — alanb

    ...........................

    http://alanb.org

    http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

  2. #2

    Re: Before blaming Giga...

    Alan you're a genious man. Here I was copying all the error info by hand so I could get help with it. This way I always have access. Thanks. Now if you can tell me how to rid this machine of outlook express, explorer, media connect and messenger I think I'll be in love! I did as Music XP said, or at least thought I did. It showed the programs in the start menu under programs but when I tried to delete them I always got the prompt that they were in use by another program or person. Man, if I hang around you fellas long enough, the scarecrow might just get a brain. No bashing here. Never had anything but praise for The learning process. By the way, most of my errors were either ATAPI or svchost,exe. Don't know what they could mean yet but at least I can identify them. That's a good thing.
    -Rajay

  3. #3

    Re: Before blaming Giga...

    Quote Originally Posted by rajay
    Now if you can tell me how to rid this machine of outlook express, explorer, media connect and messenger...
    Open control panel, then add/remove programs. Click the button on the left "Add/Remove Windows Components" and find your application in the list and uncheck it. Click next. You might get rid of Internet Explorer, but you can't uninstall explorer. Also, I believe the application bits will still be there, they just won't be available to run.

    You will need to run as administrator to uninstall. If one or more is failing try uninstalling them one at a time until the culprit is obvious. I've never had a problem uninstalling any of these items.

    Jay

  4. #4

    Re: Before blaming Giga...

    Thanks. That must've done it 'cause I can't see those programs anymore. At least not there. There is one other question I have though. I can't access MusicXP's tuning tips now, but there's one that gives a minimum and max virtual memory and the tip says one may set both to 1.5 to 2 times the stated value. My minimum showed 2047 and max. 4096. I changed the min. to 2500 just to see what would happen. With that and all the other tips done my useable memory only jumped from 881 to 894 megs. Could I hope to gain more from more tweaking within that parameter? If you have any idea, just what would be a practical limit on those parameters? Everybody at once, please!
    -Rajay

  5. #5

    Re: Before blaming Giga...

    Quote Originally Posted by rajay
    I can't access MusicXP's tuning tips now, but there's one that gives a minimum and max virtual memory and the tip says one may set both to 1.5 to 2 times the stated value. My minimum showed 2047 and max. 4096. I changed the min. to 2500 just to see what would happen. With that and all the other tips done my useable memory only jumped from 881 to 894 megs. Could I hope to gain more from more tweaking within that parameter?
    Have you tried tweaking Giga with Mattias' memory optimization tool yet?
    — alanb

    ...........................

    http://alanb.org

    http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

  6. #6

    Smile Re: Before blaming Giga...

    Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    Although it is easy (and, to some extent, satisfying) to reflexively blame Giga for anything that goes wrong on one's computer... anyone who is going crazy because his/her computer has been crashing or generating odd error messages should first do the following, to try to accurately pinpoint the misbehaving application or Windows service:

    Go to Windows Control Panel > Administrative Tools.

    Double-click "Event Viewer."

    Double-click first "Application Log" and then "System Log" and, in each one, check for any recent errors -- these are the ones marked with a big red X.

    Right-click each such error and select "Properties."

    Hopefully you will see enough information there to give you an idea what went wrong with your system, and which application or service is responsible... or at least enough info to post here to solicit useful solutions, without provoking the simple-yet-nonproductive pleasure of group Giga-bashing...

    Good luck in any case!!
    Alan, I think your post is bumpalicious!

  7. #7

    Re: Before blaming Giga...

    Thanks for the advice. My system reboots everytime I try to convert my giga files to giga 3.0. I checked the event viewer, and it says this:

    Hanging application Gstudio.exe, version 3.10.0.2270, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000

    There's about 10 of these errors for today alone. Anybody have an idea what this is all about?

  8. #8

    Re: Before blaming Giga...

    Is your temp folder on the same physical drive as the original samples?

    D

  9. #9

    Re: Before blaming Giga...

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Is your temp folder on the same physical drive as the original samples?

    D
    No, my temp folder is on C and my samples are all on a different drive E.

    I did figure out that this error isn't related to my system rebooting, because it rebooted several more times last night, but didn't make any more error logs in the event viewer.

  10. #10

    Re: Before blaming Giga...

    Quote Originally Posted by bond6007
    No, my temp folder is on C and my samples are all on a different drive E.

    I did figure out that this error isn't related to my system rebooting, because it rebooted several more times last night, but didn't make any more error logs in the event viewer.
    Well that could be the problem. Re-set your Temp folder to be on the same drive as the samples, re-boot and try again.

    D

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •