• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontact VST volume problems

Share/Bookmark

Kontact VST volume problems

I must be the densest person on the board or something is wrong with my setup.

First, I am using an AMD 64 X2 cpu with 2 gigs of mem and 3 HD's C: 80G (with GPO on it), E: 200G (music storage Files), and F: 160G (music working files). My sound card is a MoTu 2408 MKII with a PCI424 card in the pci slot. All drivers are up to date. My software for writing is Finale 2002 and for sequencing is Tracktion 2.

I am able to get a pretty good sound and level mix in Finale just through dynamic markings (which I have altered to use the mod wheel not velocity). My problem is when I sequence to fine tune the dynamics and add things like slurs and crescendos-decrescendos. If I solo a track (say a viola line) and work on dynamics (using the mod wheel), I have to turn the volume way up to hear it or play with the mod wheel on the high side (all volumes between 64 and 127 in the mod wheel rotation area) but as soon as I un-solo and play all tracks, the volume of the entire mix practically knocks me out of my chair (not to mention the pop on my speaker cones) and I am red lining on the volume meters. No, attempt to write lower mod wheel settings changes this. As a matter of fact, I wrote in "0" flat line mod wheel settings and still got blown out of my chair.

Any suggestions?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Kontact VST volume problems

Rich,

I am afraid I can't help, since I know absolutely nothing about Tracktion. But, maybe you should try posting your problem at the Tracktion forum, as this seems to be a Tracktion specific problem. You may have a better chance of solving your preoblem there.

I'm also unfamiliar with Tracktion but I'd be curious to know one thing: If you have just one lone MIDI track in a song file and you hit the solo button does the volume change? It shouldn't. With a single track you should be able to toggle the solo button on and off with no change in volume. If you do hear a change in volume then I'd recommend looking to see where the solo is routed (to a solo bus perhaps?) and check the level of the destination and adjust it until you achieve parity with the main routing. Something in the gain staging certainly sounds amiss.

Tom

Thanks for the comment Nickie. I will try but I don't feel it's a Tracktion problem.

Tom,

Thanks also for the comment. The solo midi line drops volume only when I use the Kontackt player and GPO. Other VST's do not do this. I will double check and let you know, but this has never been a problem in the past for me. The midi track is being routed to a rack which contains a Kontact player and then back to the main bus. I have done other VST's this way and not heard the volume drop. I will check though and let you know.

Again thanks for the comments.

Rich

I just checked out the volume drop off in Tracktion using SampleTank and found there was some dropo off with it as well. It was less so than Kontackt and GPO but was noticeable. So, I guess the problem does lie in Tracktion. I will report this on the Tracktion forum and keep you advised as to what they say.

I believe I heard of at least one other senior member on this forum who said he uses tracktion and was wondering if he has experienced this drop off volume problem when soloing instruments. Since I don't remember who, I will have to hope he reads this message line!

Thanks again for the quick responses which seem to be the norm for this forum.

Rich

Hi, im using Tracktion 1.6 with GPO. Not sure if i can help, but will try:

I have to turn the volume way up to hear it or play with the mod wheel on the high side (all volumes between 64 and 127 in the mod wheel rotation area) but as soon as I un-solo and play all tracks, the volume of the entire mix practically knocks me out of my chair
    Is, maybe, your keyboard sending the modulation wheel message to all channels?
    Have you tryed to draw the modulation messages instead of record them from your keyboard? (if is some issue with your keyboard, maybe this can isolate it)
    Do your keyboard send some kind of sysex when turn on?
    Are you using Kontakt player with one instrument by track,or are you using it like a multi-out (up to eight) by track?
    Marcelo Colina

Thanks for the reply marce. The keyboard is a Kurzweil PC88 performance controller and to the best of my knowledge is not sending any sysex. I'm using Tracktion 2.1 and I think things are a little different than how it use to work in Tracktion 1. I do have the Kontact Player (6 of them) loaded as rack filters, so each player is filled with up to 8 instruments. Most of my work is done in the midi editor after establishing basic dynamics and tonguing styles in Finale 2002.

This problem is only very noticeable in the Kontackt Player. Sampletank shows a little drop off but not as much.

Again thanks for the response and good composing to you!

Rich

I see you have clear the way to work with tracktion, cant see something i can help you, sorry. Something that cames to mind, is that you make the test with another host, to be sure is something related to Tracktion. there is a new host out there that support multi-instruments, maybe you can try if the problem happens there, so you can be sure is tracktion... or kontakt player. google for reaper.
    Marcelo Colina

Thanks again marce, I appreciated it. I will google reaper.

For anyone else following this topic, I just did a volume test on Tracktion 2 in solo and non-solo track playing just one instrument. The volume with mod wheel set full on for non-soloed on one track playing was (with full velocity attack) +2 Db with the player set to flute NV and Kontakt player set to -10.4 Db in volume. When I soloed the same flute track with a full velocity attack and mod wheel to full, the volume shown in the master volume level dropped to -10.38 Db. I tried the same test with the kontakt player as a single track ouput device and the volumes were the same at +2 Db whether soloed or non-soloed. I then tried SampleTank and it made no difference whether the track was soloed or not or whether it was sent to a second bus with the player in that bus. The volumes were exactly the same. So, unless I'm not understanding, it seems the problem is in the way I set up the kontakt player or something is not right in the player.

I no know a work around but it will be clumsy and slow. (i.e. one player per track and one instrument per player. I'm going to need a lot more memory for that!)

Rich

No clue about the solution yet?
    Well, not sure if it can help, but here you can found several midi plugins filter for tracktion that can help you to manage the rack:

http://www.niallmoody.com/ndcplugs/ndcmidi.htm
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum