• Register
  • Help

Topic: Transposing Trumpets, Overture & GPO

Share/Bookmark

Transposing Trumpets, Overture & GPO

I'm trying to enter a score of the Strauss Emperor Waltz. The score I have includes Trumpets in F (alongside Horns in F).

Overture knows Horns are in F but doesn't offer F trumpets.

So I chose Trumpets in C and assumed I'd force the Overture Track properties to transpose these Trumpets by 7 semitones (down) exactly as the Horn properties are set to 7 automatically.

I set the key signature of the trumpet track to match the horn track with Options | Show | Tranposed Tracks switched on but the trumpet sounds a semitone too high - I have to set the semitone adjustment to 8 to obtain the correct pitch on replay by a trumpet in GPO.

As far as I can tell, the trumpets in GPO are in C.

Furthermore when I switch Show Transposition off the trumpet track appears ina different key from all the others - one semitone down. Presumably this is related to the fact I've had to pitch the trumpets down one semitone but I really want to see all my instruments in the same key at this point.

So the outcome is that I can either have the correct keys displayed but the wrong pitches played, or vice versa.

Is anyone able to spot what I'm failing to understand about Overture SE, GPO and transposition and in particular why don't I hear the correct pitches when I set the trumpet to transpose by the same extent as the Horns please?

Many thanks for any insights you have.

Kevin

Re: Transposing Trumpets, Overture & GPO

Hi kilucas -

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you are doing, but this should help:

Trumpets in F sound a fourth HIGHER than written, not a fifth down.

Start over with that in mind and you should be able to figure things out.

- k

Quote Originally Posted by kilucas
    I'm trying to enter a score of the Strauss Emperor Waltz. The score I have includes Trumpets in F (alongside Horns in F).

Overture knows Horns are in F but doesn't offer F trumpets.

So I chose Trumpets in C and assumed I'd force the Overture Track properties to transpose these Trumpets by 7 semitones (down) exactly as the Horn properties are set to 7 automatically.

I set the key signature of the trumpet track to match the horn track with Options | Show | Tranposed Tracks switched on but the trumpet sounds a semitone too high - I have to set the semitone adjustment to 8 to obtain the correct pitch on replay by a trumpet in GPO.

As far as I can tell, the trumpets in GPO are in C.

Furthermore when I switch Show Transposition off the trumpet track appears ina different key from all the others - one semitone down. Presumably this is related to the fact I've had to pitch the trumpets down one semitone but I really want to see all my instruments in the same key at this point.

So the outcome is that I can either have the correct keys displayed but the wrong pitches played, or vice versa.

Is anyone able to spot what I'm failing to understand about Overture SE, GPO and transposition and in particular why don't I hear the correct pitches when I set the trumpet to transpose by the same extent as the Horns please?

Many thanks for any insights you have.

Kevin
    Kevin:

Please send me a copy of the .OVE file and I will look at it. You can also find me on the GenieSoft forum as an admin.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thanks very much for the help. Klassical, you were on the right lines here thanks very much. I'd set my Trumpets down by 7 or 8 semitones but then pushed the trumpet back up an octave by using the Middle C Offset in the Track Setup to push middle C down an octave and hence the trumpet up an octave. This was convoluted with hindisght but I only discovered the pitch problem when my trumpet fell out of the bottom of the GPO trumpet range so I only reset Middle C sometime after re-pitching the trumpet.

But the primary cause of the pitching problem was that I inadvertently moved middle C down by 13 semitones rather than 12 and this was the cause of the mismatched semi-tones in the pitch and key.

From a pitch perspective and from a transposed key perspective, moving middle C down by the correct 12 semitones made everything work. But the trumpet in the untransposed score was an octave too low.

Kalssical's solution fixed this. By leaving middle C unmoved and adjusting the trumpet 5 semitones up, the pitch and key signature were still fine but this time the untransposed trumpet pitches came out correct.

Many thanks indeed.

Kevin

Go Back to forum