• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Elegy for Trumpet

Share/Bookmark

Elegy for Trumpet - COMPLETED

This is the completed solo for Trumpet and Piano. It is in the French style, a style I practiced for years while learning trumpet from Harry Herforth (Cleveland's premiere trumpet teacher) who is turning 90 this week. Live long and prosper Harry!

Elegy for Trumpet

I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to comment.

Re: Elegy for Trumpet

Wonderful start. This would be fun to play. *Very* idiomatically written for the trumpet (as it should be with someone as knowledgeable as you writing it) and I love the French influence. Come back with more!

Tom

Very nice piece and interpretation! I am sure that Harry would approve.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

To Gary and Tom,

Thank you for your kind comments. Please return and listen to the completed version.

I am listening to it for the third or fourth time now. The format (trumpet sonata in french style) and especially this piece appeal very much to me (am I using this words right?)

How did you do these interesting half-muted passages?

I think you did a wonderful job by this composition which will hopefully be played live a lot and also with this very convincing rendition.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    I am listening to it for the third or fourth time now. The format (trumpet sonata in french style) and especially this piece appeal very much to me (am I using this words right?)

How did you do these interesting half-muted passages?

I think you did a wonderful job by this composition which will hopefully be played live a lot and also with this very convincing rendition.

Hannes
    Guten Tag Hannes,

Yes, Ich verstehe. I am glad you enjoyed the work. The half-muted sections were created by using dynamics and articulation markings. I really would like to get a GPO trumpet sound that is muted, but do not know if it exists in Finale.

I am planning to personally play this piece with a friend accompanist so that I can give the piece as a present to my former trumpet teacher and mentor, Harry Herforth.

Thank you for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Guten Tag Hannes,

Yes, Ich verstehe. I am glad you enjoyed the work. The half-muted sections were created by using dynamics and articulation markings. I really would like to get a GPO trumpet sound that is muted, but do not know if it exists in Finale.

Thank you for listening.
    I am assuming that you are using the Finale supplied GPO. I checked the trumpets and there are no controls for muting that I could see. In the full GPO there are.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    I am assuming that you are using the Finale supplied GPO. I checked the trumpets and there are no controls for muting that I could see. In the full GPO there are.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Thanks Gary. I did some manual reading after the post and discovered the same. (Won't wonders ever cease if you read the manual). Yes I am using Finale's GPO. I have to wait until my pockets get filled before buying the Full GPO. (Starving musician, you know)

I have re-done the concluding bars of the piece and I thin it sounds more conclusive. (last 10 secs or so). If anyone would care to listen and compare I would appreciate your thouhts.

The newer version is at: http://www.esnips.com/doc/089780fb-7...cea/Elegy2.mp3

Thanks

Listened to the revised version, William.

Strong piece, and very well written (as usual);
    I'd love to hear this one live... that trumpet
    writing shines.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks all, I've been in a writing frenzy as of late. I have been asked to do an 8th movement to the Planets: Requiem for a Planet (Pluto). It will be performed this Spring a long with the complete Holst Suite.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast