• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt 2 and Colossus

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 2 and Colossus

I have been debating between Kontakt 2 and Colossus as my primary "general" sound library. I'm not much of tweaker and rely more upon presets. While I recognize that Kontakt is far more powerful than Colossus' Kompakt player, I expect that I would take rarely take full advantage of it. The script processor does look intriguing, though.

Of paramount importance to me is the quality of the preset sound library. The size of the library and it's price are of less importance to me than a core set of quality sounds. I will mostly be using acoustic (some electric) rock/pop instruments -- pianos, drums, guitars, bass. I will also do some simple orchestration with strings, woodwinds and brass.

In your opinion, how do these two products compare? Which sounds better with respect to the aforementioned type of music that I play? Does Kontakt's extra power offer abilities not possible with Colossus (such as the LPC Performance Multi, for instance)?

Re: Kontakt 2 and Colossus

You can not compare these two directly because Kontakt 2 is a sampler which means it can run many sample libraries, while Colosus is a Rompler which plays only his content....

Colossus content can be played in K2, the opposite way ? NO WAY

Maybe You should try K2 first and check the K2 library.
    Colossus is bigger (32GB) over the K2 (15GB) but KOntakt 2 let's You tweak it and buy additional content....
    VSL content in K2 is very nice and basses and pianos too and all that stuff.

Also, I found Colossus really expensive for what it is......though there have been some cheaper deals around from time to time

You could go with Kompakt if you only want presets. You can always upgrade later.

Nigel

The sounds in collosus blow the sounds that come with kontact 2 away. The only nice thing about the kontact 2 library is the VSL stuff, and even then, its just ok. however, kontact 2, as mentined before, is a sampler, and you can use it for more then just its factory presets, and is a great tool to have.
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    You can not compare these two directly because Kontakt 2 is a sampler which means it can run many sample libraries, while Colosus is a Rompler which plays only his content....

Colossus content can be played in K2, the opposite way ? NO WAY

Maybe You should try K2 first and check the K2 library.
    Colossus is bigger (32GB) over the K2 (15GB) but KOntakt 2 let's You tweak it and buy additional content....
    VSL content in K2 is very nice and basses and pianos too and all that stuff.
    Hello, thanks for your reply.

I understand the distinction between the two, one being a full-fledged sampler and the other a sample library played via a custom-skinned version of Kompakt. I have tried the Kontakt 2 demo. In fact, it's *because* I tried the demo that makes me question whether so much tweakability is more than I need. I would seldom use all of the effects or tweak various parameters. Most of the sound-shaping I would probably do in Sonar. Additionally, some sample libraries that I am interested in will not load into Kontakt, such as Real Guitar 2 and Synthogy Ivory.

I have 4 kids and very little studio time. I just want something that has the best combination of these features:

- great sounding presets
    - moderate learning curve
    - reasonable CPU drain

I know that by trying to find the best of all worlds, I'm writing off the possibility of getting the VERY best in any specific world, i.e. the VSL Symphonic Instruments may SOUND the best, but the LEARNING curve to master it is steep; a mid-range hardware keyboard may drain the LEAST CPU (none), but the samples sound like crap. I know I can't have my cake and eat it, too. So, for now, I'm willing to just have my cake.

Basically, a product that sounds good out of the box and doesn't take all of the very limited time I have to learn it, tweak it, etc., is the product that's right for me.

I know Colossus is over twice the size of the K2 library, but I don't really care. I'm sure there are tons of instruments in both libraries that I will never use. I just need the staples of American/British rock. If it never made it's way onto a Grateful Dead or Beatles record, I'll probably never use it.

The price of Colossus is an issue, though. I've seen it go for ~$600 on Ebay, but K2 is selling there now for under $200. Anyone have a *used* Colossus they want to sell me?

Sorry for the super-long post! I appreciate you reading this far and welcome and comments.

Collosus is by far my favorite " go to" library. It's very organic and usable for all styles. One point I wanted to make is that by owning both Konakt and collosus,I have been importing trouble patches into Kontakt. For example. my favorite kit is the Jazz drum set(sticks) The high hat is too loud and the ride sizzle cymbal too soft, so, I import into Kontakt and adjust. I couldn't live without both. But if you can only afford one- go for Collosus. One thought is to wait a minute until Muse from Ultimate soundbank comes out. It seems to be much like Collosus and a very reasonable price. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by artsoundz
    Collosus is by far my favorite " go to" library. It's very organic and usable for all styles. One point I wanted to make is that by owning both Konakt and collosus,I have been importing trouble patches into Kontakt. For example. my favorite kit is the Jazz drum set(sticks) The high hat is too loud and the ride sizzle cymbal too soft, so, I import into Kontakt and adjust. I couldn't live without both. But if you can only afford one- go for Collosus. One thought is to wait a minute until Muse from Ultimate soundbank comes out. It seems to be much like Collosus and a very reasonable price. good luck!
    I searched the Ultimate Soundbank website and found no mention of a product called Muse. Nor did a Google search return any useful results. Do you have a link where I could find out more information about this product?

Thanks!

Um,

MUSE is Sonivox (formerly Sonic Implants) offering, not UltimateSoundBank.

It is due to be released shortly, but there are no demos yet.

http://sonivoxrocks.com/muse.html

Regards,

Ben H

oops. right-Sonivox

If you want out of the box sounds, collosus, hands down. really. I own both and rarely to never touch the presets from kontact.
    www.energiestudios.com

Go Back to forum