• PS3

23 29.87%
  • OTHER

1 1.30%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Which Game Console Will Dominate

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Which Game Console Will Dominate

Which game console do you generally think will be the dominant game console machine in the next three years in terms of sales, engineering success, quantities sold and broad support? Feel free to comment.

The Consoles:
    XBOX WII PS3 OTHER

Re: Which Game Console Will Dominate

A year ago I would've placed the easy bet on Sony riding it's PS2 wave into the next generation, but with some missteps and negative buzz surrounding them now, it's hard to say. I think that this round of consoles will just make it more fragmented than ever before with no real clear winner. I'm going to buy a Wii and a PS3. I can't quite get into the Xbox for some reason. I'm just used to the Japanese making superior products to ours so buying an Xbox somehow feels like buying a Chevy to me...

Define dominate Power wise I think that that PS3 will dominate with superior graphics and some great looking games. The Wii has the potential to claim a bigger share of the console market this time around as opposed to the N64 and GC, where they sold a CONSIDERABLE less amount of consoles than Sony and Microsoft.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Sony has fumbled almost every aspect of the PS3 so far, and there's no reason to believe that they will stop now. The system is expensive ($500 - 600 without any games) and built around Blu-ray, a hi-def format that pretty much no one cares about. It also happens to be the reason for the stunted November launch and the delayed European launch. Like the PS2 before it, PS3's tools and documentation are garbage compared to Microsoft's console. It is an unmitigated bitch to program for, and based on everything I've heard from developers, it's going to be years--if ever--before the PS3 games look superior to the Xbox 360. In theory the Cell may be more powerful than the CPU in the 360, but the Cell is far more difficult to utilitize and the GPUs are comparable in both consoles. Right out of the gate, the PS3 launch titles will look noticeably worse than the latest stuff on the 360.

On the other hand, Sony's marketshare with the PS2 has to be worth something, and they still have some powerful exclusive franchises in MGS, Final Fantasy and...I dunno, Gran Turismo?

I predict that the 360 and PS3 will go at least 50/50 in the US. The 360 has the advantage of a strong lead, strong titles coming down the pipeline, and a price tag that is hundreds less than PS3. The 360 may even surpass PS3 in the States. Japan will go to Sony by a landslide. Europe could go either way at this point, even though it's historically been Sony territory. Any way you slice it, Sony is going to lose significant marketshare to the 360.

Wii...I dunno. Wii is not a direct competitor with PS3 and 360. Wii may take a dent out of Sony in Japan, but in general I think it's aiming for a different share of the market than the high-powered high-dollar consoles from Sony and MS.

Wii is aimed at longevity Just like Nintendo usually plays it Nice and safe. I think it could take a nice dent out of Sony in Japan.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Phantom FTW!!!!!

Wii looks the most fun... I can't say I care much about CPU specs... as long as the graphics aren't completely ridiculous (which they won't be), game design is the most important, and games for Nintendo, especially Nintendo developed games, tend to nail it.

However, I'll have to get a PS3 eventually just so I can play the next game by the creators of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus...

I wouldn't get anything out of the X-Box... I still think it's a bit funny Microsoft would get into the console game business... Certainly not surprising though.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I've already got a 360, and will definitely get a Wii. I think my initial response would be that the Xbox would dominate in the US (Japan is another story), simply due to its significant head start, and the awesome implementation of Xbox Live.

However, the Wii at $250 may be the right price for a lot of families, and given its unusual goals, it may not be so much 'market penetration' as much as developing entirely new markets that take Nintendo to the top.

I think it will be tough for Sony to maintain their huge PS2-like lead with the PS3 given negative press, pricepoint, etc. But they do have some killer franchises (MGS, FF, et al) - so they certainly aren't out of the running.

I have to admit that I would almost pay $600 for a PS3 just to play Metal Gear Solid 4.

Quote Originally Posted by faintwhitenoise
    I'm just used to the Japanese making superior products to ours so buying an Xbox somehow feels like buying a Chevy to me...
    Huh. I guess you didn't hear about that little laptop battery recall? Forget about Chevy, that's more like Yugo.

The only good reason to buy a console is for games you like. MS and Sony have historically had similar quality control issues with console hardware.

Go Back to forum