• Register
  • Help

Topic: XP / MacBook Pro / GigaStudio?

Share/Bookmark

XP / MacBook Pro / GigaStudio?

Has anyone tried this? Is it totally insane to even consider?

Thanks for any comments.

Re: XP / MacBook Pro / GigaStudio?

It has been tried and yes it does work, but you would be insane to bother as this machine is really overkill for Giga. Add to that the fact that if you have problems nobody really knows how to sort them out, so you would be on your own. You will get no support from Apple if you run into problems with XP, so again it is a risk.

D

"This machine is really overkill for Giga" -- I guess I have really been out of the Giga loop for a long time! I never thought I would hear those words. My experience with giga (as of 2.54) has been that it will eat all available ram and cpu for breakfast and still be hungry for more.

Ok, simpler question - any recommendations for a good laptop to run Giga reliably? I know this has been asked before, but I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ursatz
    "This machine is really overkill for Giga" -- I guess I have really been out of the Giga loop for a long time! I never thought I would hear those words. My experience with giga (as of 2.54) has been that it will eat all available ram and cpu for breakfast and still be hungry for more.

Ok, simpler question - any recommendations for a good laptop to run Giga reliably? I know this has been asked before, but I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Go to any reputable audio PC manufacturer and get them to build one and set it up for you. If you are using it only for Giga then 1.5Gb RAM may load the same number of samples as 2Gb. Who knows!! You will need to tweak the OS which means that other things may not like it.

Regarding CPU, my machines always ran out of RAM long before the CPU got even close. The only exception is likely to be if you want to run Gigapulse, which is CPU hungry.

The best advice I can give you is that unless you need the editing features of GS you may well be better off with GVI. Of course it has to be released first....!

Either way, you are asking for trouble buying from Apple if you intend to run XP. Don't do it.......

D

Go Back to forum