• Register
  • Help

Topic: making music on PC

Share/Bookmark

making music on PC

Hello, I am new here. I have looked all other topics but I haven't found the answer on my question. So I am new in composing with PC so I want to start.

I am using Sibelius for typing notes with computer, I have written some parts for some instruments.
    And my problem is: It all sounds very artificial, not like real orchestra, not so human. Dynamics is missing. And that's my question: With which program do you add dynamics (cresc., slow strings,...)? With Sibelius or other? I heard that some people use for this Cubase, I also have Cubase at home.
    You are composing for a long time so I think it's a silly question but anyway. How to make it to sound more "human"? Can someone write a little tutorial for it, some examples how you do that? Thank you very much.
    Tom

Re: making music on PC

Quote Originally Posted by kavis
    Hello, I am new here. I have looked all other topics but I haven't found the answer on my question. So I am new in composing with PC so I want to start.

I am using Sibelius for typing notes with computer, I have written some parts for some instruments.
    And my problem is: It all sounds very artificial, not like real orchestra, not so human. Dynamics is missing. And that's my question: With which program do you add dynamics (cresc., slow strings,...)? With Sibelius or other? I heard that some people use for this Cubase, I also have Cubase at home.
    You are composing for a long time so I think it's a silly question but anyway. How to make it to sound more "human"? Can someone write a little tutorial for it, some examples how you do that? Thank you very much.
    Tom
    This is a pretty loaded question. There are so many options and methods.

First let's talk about the sounds themselves. Are you using sample software such as GPO? There are several orchestral libraries available. I use GPO because it is good sounding, very inexpensive (relative), and user-friendly - not to mention this community of users who are always helpful. There are other libraries as well if you find that GPO doesn't fit your needs. Check out demos of various libraries to determine which sound you want - GPO, Kirk Hunter, VSL, and others. If you're not using a sample library, and instead just your computers midi sounds, you will never get a "human" performance.

There are two types of software used to produce a composition/performance - Notation or Sequencer. Sibelius is a notation software application, while Cubase is a sequencer. Generally, there is more control over sound in a sequencer. However, a notation application like Sibelius can be used to produce pretty good quality. Additionally, GPO has great integration with notation software - both Sibelius and Finale.

For tutorials on using GPO with all the most popular applications go to http://garritan.com/tips_tutorials.html.

I use Finale for notation which has a feature called Human Playback. This automatically adds imperfections and interprets dynamic markings on playback. I imagine that Sibelius has a similar feature. In a sequencer you can add these effects yourself by manipulating the midi data.

One of the most important factors in a realistic performance is giving your ensemble space. This means adding reverb. GPO has a built-in Ambience plugin that will place your ensemble in a Concert Hall or Jazz Club or other environment. The reverb effect is critical to creating any convincing digital performance.

There are lots of great sources on the internet and even books that teach you how to write midi music. Do some research and you'll find yourself getting better and better performances with each composition.

Good luck,
    Teddy

Hi Tom and welcome to the Garritan section of the NS forum!

Most sample libraries, including GPO, take advantage of additional control methods to midi named, not so surprisingly, controllers. Expressiveness of sound, timbre, tuning, and dynamics tend to be controlled by these controllers. They are identified by CC#. CC7, for example controls the general volume of a track.

Garritan libraries began a trend in using the modulation controller, CC0 (offhand I think that's the one), to influence dynamics. Adjusting this and similar controllers is the first step towards producing a more realistic, lifelike sound. Sibelius does include support for midi controllers, but if I remember correctly it is a little less tightly integrated than support in Finale, Overture, or sequencers. It is entirely possible though. Consult your user manual for specifics on entering controller data.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Garritan libraries began a trend in using the modulation controller, CC0 (offhand I think that's the one), to influence dynamics.
    CC1 . The GPO manual lists every instrument and the controllers that can be used on them.

Thanks for all advices. Now I have a system in those programs, I try to get GPO (I heard some pieces which are here on forum made with GPO and it sounds great).

Quote Originally Posted by kavis
    Thanks for all advices. Now I have a system in those programs, I try to get GPO (I heard some pieces which are here on forum made with GPO and it sounds great).
    You will not regret the purchase of GPO. Some people get good results with GPO and Sibelius, but I get much better results with Sonar and GPO. That is an additional expense, but I find it quite necessary.

Both programs have the strong points. Sibelius is quite good for notation, not so good for midi editing and playback. Sonar is not at all good for a high quality score, but very good for midi and audio. So if you can manage the expense, use both.

Richard

Go Back to forum